I have a couple of stupid questions.....

blueyes

Are liquid ferts safe to be using with the clown loaches in the tank, I know they are sensitive to meds..... but don't if the same applies to ferts?

I know sweetcorn speeds up metabolism for people, is it okay to feed corn on the cob to fish?

And finally, did anyone know about the fishy shop around the corner from me at work on Neilson Street in Onehunga... I'm sure its new???

Thanks in advance all knowing wise ones :bow:

Hi

I think I saw the shop you mean today - I couldn't go in but there wasn't a fish store there before...

Thanks

Danni

It has pictures of tropical fish painted on the windows.... thankyou, I was sure I couldn't have missed it before considering I drive past it on my way home everyday..... not sure if its just a supplies store or if it has fish too.... I think it was called something like Aqua Shop...... might have to go and have a peek tomorrow I think..... i'll report back if anyones interested :)

It has pictures of tropical fish painted on the windows.... thankyou, I was sure I couldn't have missed it before considering I drive past it on my way home everyday..... not sure if its just a supplies store or if it has fish too.... I think it was called something like Aqua Shop...... might have to go and have a peek tomorrow I think..... i'll report back if anyones interested :)

I am interested to know :) I might pop in there tomorrow on my way out also!

Theres no list of ingredients on the fert.... its Sera Flore Daydrops :(

I did find that they are sensitive to formalin and copper sulphate, are these ingredients likely to be used in ferts?

P44 I have found them to be pretty hardy too...... I mean if they can handle a beginner like me as an owner they must be pretty tough..... I did lose one, but I think that was because it wasn't well it was a skinny little guy.....

Normal fertalizers are fine, just think of water in the wild (it has all the same minerals etc in it).

Clown Loaches don't have scales that act as "barrier" as such, so if something CAN be toxic to fish by overdosing like adding medication or adding certain fertilizers that have a set dosage you should half the the dose to allow for the clown loaches sensitivity.

Most potentially harmfull additives these days have warnings on the back about following the set dosage.

Also, if in doubt avoid using random brands and stick to the more common well known brands such as: SeaChem, API, Sera, aqua one etc etc

Its a bit like removing an oven mit from one hand, and then removing a hot tray from an oven. One hand handles it fine, the other not so well :lol:

hi there that fish shop has just opened about 6 weeks ago he sells fish and plants maybe say when he gets up on hes feet he will be a mini fish shop to say the likes of the big guys in mt roskill he also sells on trademe hes got about 3 bays of tanks and fish supplies but please remember hes only new and hes open till about 8pm witch is good

hi there that fish shop has just opened about 6 weeks ago he sells fish and plants maybe say when he gets up on hes feet he will be a mini fish shop to say the likes of the big guys in mt roskill he also sells on trademe hes got about 3 bays of tanks and fish supplies but please remember hes only new and hes open till about 8pm witch is good

Just out of interest, what is his trade-me username?

I called in there a few Saturdays ago at about 6.30pm, some nice fish and chatted to the owner for nearly an hour, he seems to know what hes talking about and said he was waiting until properly set up before doing any advertising. Very good pricing and definetly worth a look.

Well, just got back from visiting... it's called Aqua Village. Its a nice little place, very tidy, the tanks are nice and clean and the fish all look healthy and happy. The guy is really friendly and I fell in love with a red whiptail lol

How cool that it is so close to work!!!! :bounce:

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know if they are open til 8pm every day?

It might pay to see if you can find their number and give them a call first if planning on going down late. Only because at the moment I think he has been closing a bit earlier because of being new he was finding not many people were going in during the evening

sometimes parents demands have no rhyme or reason, though they usually want us to believe otherwise

:an!gry

Very true

That does suck... did they give you a reason why?

They said it was because I might eventually decide I don't want them...(But then wouldn't I just sell them??) Plus I had my Axolotls for ages and still liked them....I had awesome ideas for how I wanted the tank to look too....

I went to Aquavillage, and though there was nothing for me there at the time, it was nice to visit another kind of shop. They have a lot of cichlids in proportion to their other tropical fish, and they had some pairs with fry which was nice to see. There were electric yellows and demasoni, neither of which I know anything about but they looked nice. They had black ghost knife fish, don't think I had seen those before, they were wriggling about doing tricks. Lots of fluffy headed goldfish too. The prices for food etc looked normal and they had some Co2 equipment. The only thing I didn't like was that some of the tanks were too high for me to see into, though I am a bit of a pygmy.

It's small but I'd recommend a visit if you are passing. Turn right off Onehunga Mall into Neilson St, and it's a little way down on the left in between a fishing shop and a 'foxy lingerie' store'. All the best types of shop in one block!