Are these snakenecks Chelodina longicollis??

Insect Direct

they almost look like theyre not shedding properly. cant figure out why the top two would be though and not the rest. unless it simply comes down to the first few years of care or lack of. and maybe just slight colour variants to go with.

1st chunky one i posted above, looked just like that at 5years old, came out of a 3foot tank with smaller one. now around 10, has grown while ive had it but not alot and the shell looks much the same.

Its taken 2 years for Bronti (ELN) to finally shed his wrinkled up, built up scutes. Whereas another I got with built up scutes shed them within 3 mths of better conditions. I guess multiple factors particularly with diet, lighting and environment. They all appear to be the same breed, except the typical "small tank" shell deformity of that last one. RES do the same.

Oh, forgot to say... Fabulous photos! :bounce:

Thanks Donna.

When you say shed the wrinkled up scutes, did the shell recover fully and is flat again? or still raised?

That big bumpy one i posted above looks like it needs the grinder and sand paper :o. for memory the shell was soft when i got that one too. its hard now and must be shedding from time to time.

No it's still uneven, but now a black type colour instead of grey/brown. Putting him in a pond this year has really helped to harden the shell as well. He was quite calcium deficient and had only been fed ox heart for about 3 years. He had no light other then the odd trip outside in to the sun. It took me almost 18mths to convince him to eat something decent like Hot House and feeder fish. I doubt his shell will ever be smooth. Your photo looks a little different to him tho...he seems to be more wrinkled than yours, but carapace is basically curved correctly whereas yours has that raised middle from the small tank. :-? Also he shed all at once! As has another ELN. I picked him up and felt movement under my fingers...the whole shell peeled off like peeling an egg...just sort of pushed off and several scutes were joined together. He smelt underneath too but was fine after a scrub.

Good to know they can recover to a reasonable extent. I just find it weird that two of mine (smaller one (first pics) ive had for over five years, the other about 2) shed each year and always look in good nick. The rest shed but never look as smooth, maybe they just need more tlc.. Most ive had for four years or more, but all were atleast 3/4 when i got them. the difference must come down to the first few years of care. No doubt I could do more aswel though :oops:

Sun on cover all day. Only put that on a few months back and I think it will let some uv through, but maybe not. I lift up the side just about every day as it gets way to hot, so they get direct sunlight then.

Prior to that had bird netting, pretty sure that lets through plenty of light. the red ears in separate pond but same area/cover are happy as.