Calcium Levels

Fay

Alk that high is alright. All it means is the corals calcification rate increases. I think where high alk gets it's reputation for causing rtn, is because calcification is increase, but other nutrient used in the calcification process are in short supply, so the coral becomes stressed. If you keep your alk high, while adding some sort of food, like phyto, or amino acids, I think there would be much less chance of rtn occuring. Plus growth would go through the roof. Just my thoughts.

Layton

If you have mainly soft corals, what is the benefit of having calciums & kh levels so high??? like 450ppm. will the leathers grow faster??

i thought soft coral utilise nutrients to grow?? can anyone explain??

why is it important to have nitrates below 10ppm in a soft coral tank??

sorry about all the questions

Lowe nitrates in any tank. Also nitrates will reduce the lifespan of your fish.

Softcorals grow in the same parts of the ocean as hard corals, so it stands to reason they need the exact same conditions. No doubt that softcorals will survive in higher nutrient environment than many SPS but I think thats because they are more hardy.

My leathers, softies and hard corals are all doing well, I am sure I am running a low nutrient tank, low fish load, large water volume and little feeding.

Pie

Also nitrates will reduce the lifespan of your fish.

Very interesting, did not know that, were can i find info on this??

What i have read, is most fish will handle 60ppm no problems. how does a nitrate level of say 10ppm reduce the lifespan of fish.

Leathers might come from the same ocean, however still dont see what the the benefits are of having high calicum/kh on a leather tank???

What i have observed is that leathers grow much quicker in a tank that has 10ppm nitrates vs a tank with zero nitrates.

I can understand that low nitrate will help colour up acropora, but how does low nitrate colour up leathers/mushrooms??

Very interesting, did not know that, were can i find info on this??

What i have read, is most fish will handle 60ppm no problems. how does a nitrate level of say 10ppm reduce the lifespan of fish.

You can find more info on this in books or on the internet:

Wet Web Media (Bob Fenner)

Nitrates Effect on Fish

Fish will feel the impact of nitrates by the time the levels reach 20 ppm or greater, particularly if levels remain there. The resulting stress leaves the fish more susceptible to disease and inhibits their ability to reproduce. High nitrate levels or long term exposure to nitrates are especially harmful to fry and young fish, and will affect their growth and colour. Furthermore, conditions that cause elevated nitrates often cause decreased oxygen levels, which further stress the fish.

Reefcentral.com

Nitrite

Nitrite (NO2) is formed as part of the nitrogen cycle, when the bacteria in the tank breaks down the ammonia, nitrite are produced. While nitrite isn’t as poisonous to fish as ammonia, it is still very dangerous and can easily kill fish. In a mature aquarium the nitrite levels will often bezero, thus not being a problem to fish.Nitrite binds to red blood cells and blocks their ability to transport oxygen, because of this affected fish frequently appear to be oxygen-deprived, even in water with high concentrations of oxygen. Affected fish may gasp at the surface or in water inflow. If nitrite is present at lower levels, fish may only show signs of toxicity when they are stressed further and require more oxygen. Over longer periods of exposure to nitrite, fish can become anemic (i.e., deficient in red blood cells).

Leathers might come from the same ocean, however still dont see what the the benefits are of having high calicum/kh on a leather tank???

High calcium benifits are probably negligable, however high KH will buffer PH and provide a more stable water paramaters.

I can understand that low nitrate will help colour up acropora, but how does low nitrate colour up leathers/mushrooms??

Not sure if it does or not. As I understand it, low nitrates increase colour because of the way in which the xanthelle (spelling!) grows, this same alage is what provides colour to soft corals too so maybee the same rules apply? Just a guess though, don't know.

Pie

Nitrite binds to red blood cells and blocks their ability to transport oxygen, because of this affected fish frequently appear to be oxygen-deprived, even in water with high concentrations of oxygen

thats really cool info, do you have a link for it pies? i like learning the whys or things

Not sure if it does or not. As I understand it, low nitrates increase colour because of the way in which the xanthelle (spelling!) grows, this same alage is what provides colour to soft corals too so maybee the same rules apply? Just a guess though, don't know.

Pie

The only colour zooxanthealle algae provide to corals is brown. What you are after is a low density of zooxanthealle, so the fluorescing protiens that give acro's, and corals in general, their bright colours.

Zooxanthealle like any algae feed on nitrate. The more nitrate, the higher the density, and the more brown a coral looks.

I have never heard of nitrate being harmful to fish, I only though nitrite was, cause it stops oxygen binding to hemaglobin in the fish's blood.

Layton

I have never heard of nitrate being harmful to fish, I only though nitrite was, cause it stops oxygen binding to hemaglobin in the fish's blood.

I thought it was common knowledge.

The only colour zooxanthealle algae provide to corals is brown. What you are after is a low density of zooxanthealle, so the fluorescing protiens that give acro's, and corals in general, their bright colours.

So lower nitrates means better looking softies.

Alois wrote:

your answer is above.

Pie