My 1400L South American tank, pretty much done!

David R

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think they'd be likely to go over the overflow, I've never had much luck keeping smaller fish in tanks with weir-type overflows. And because of the height of the overflow and the grunty pump I can't put overflow comb on as it would raise the water level to the point where it would probably overflow. As it is now it only sits about 1mm below the bracing. Also larger tetras are more likely to be eaten by the arowana [when it finally gets added], once the aro gets over ~16" I might chuck 20 or so neons in just to see how they go, hopefully the size difference is great enough for the aro to ignore them.

• 2 weeks later...

Pass? Never noticed it, maybe I'm blind... :-?

Mine's made with 10mm and the distortion is pretty bad whenever you're looking at it on an angle; wondered how inevitable it was. A guy today told me that it 'looks like half the depth it really is'.

• 1 month later...

wow great work david. looking awesome!!! that's one beefy big tank. the width is certainly impressive. like the woody-biotype look ay

i couldn't see all the pics cos on dial up speed but your sump looks really good. is that an overflow plumbed at the end in case something goes wrong? i assume it'll lead to a drain?

lemons are really nice tetras. hate to see them be an aro snack ;)

How big do you expect your jurupari to get?

Haven't got one any more, lost my male, about 16cm, by not acclimatising slowly enough [i think].

Luke, there's no lemons in there, still considering it, and there's not going to be an aro either. :(

Haven't got one any more, lost my male, about 16cm, by not acclimatising slowly enough [i think].

Damn, that sucks. Fish and their perpetual deathwish. :/

Do you still have the spotted metynnis? I should have a quarantine tank free in few days. Could you put up some photos of them?

Yeah I still have them, they're in a 3' holding tank with no lights so not particularly easy to get pics of sorry.

It was entirely my fault with the leucosticta, the 5' tank was about pH 6 and the 8' was 7.5, I should have (and did after that) buffer the 5' slowly with some coral instead of trying to acclimatise the fish over such a big increase.

Yeah I still have them, they're in a 3' holding tank with no lights so not particularly easy to get pics of sorry.

No problem, I really just wanted to know whether they have the very deep, typical silver dollar shape or whether they're a little more elongated like the ones in with Helen at Hollywood. Seems like there's a couple of subspecies or something.