Native Pond Update - 2 years down the track...

preacher

The amount of damselflies around the pond this summer has been amazing, blues, greens, reds...

But here's some of the awesome nightlife...

The small pond at the top transforms from a brown muddy bottom to a carpet of red worms...

P1050885.jpg

This lil cray is about 3cm long

P1050883.jpg

P1050898.jpg

P1050899.jpg

Adult Inanga, about 10-12cm long

P1050913.jpg

Close encounters of the third kind?

P1050915.jpg

7-8cm Cray

P1050896.jpg

That is great... nice to see the before and after pics... glad to see the black plastic has been "overgrown" by the plants...

Some very nice occupants you have in the pond as well. :bow:

PS: How big are the dimensions of the pond area? I have got a patch of ground at my place that would be pretty good for a pond, just wondering if it is big enough.

Hi Mikey, its been a bit damp down here so I haven't got out to measure the pond accurately.

Over all area of the Ponds is probaby about 3m wide, 4m long and roughy half a metre high for the top pond.

The top pond itself is around a metre long by 600mm-700mm wide, about 200mm deep.

This overflows into a bog type pond which is only 20-30mm deep and about 400-500mm diameter.

That then flows into another smaller pool which measures 200mm diameter and is about 100mm deep.

The main pond at the base is in 2 sections, a 1.5m long shallows which is roughly 800mm wide and about 150mm deep. This runs into a deeper area which is about 1.2m - 1.5m diameter and 400mm-500mm deep.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Mikey, its been a bit damp down here so I haven't got out to measure the pond accurately.

Over all area of the Ponds is probaby about 3m wide, 4m long and roughy half a metre high for the top pond.

The top pond itself is around a metre long by 600mm-700mm wide, about 200mm deep.

This overflows into a bog type pond which is only 20-30mm deep and about 400-500mm diameter.

That then flows into another smaller pool which measures 200mm diameter and is about 100mm deep.

The main pond at the base is in 2 sections, a 1.5m long shallows which is roughly 800mm wide and about 150mm deep. This runs into a deeper area which is about 1.2m - 1.5m diameter and 400mm-500mm deep.

Cheers

Peter

Thanks for that...

The patch I have is a triangle piece. 5m (side) x 6m (side) x 3m (base), and there is already a natural slope from "top" of triangle to bottom with some nice tree coverage so it won't get too hot for native occupants, and I was thinking of digging a "big" pond in the larger area near the base, throwing the dirt from that up towards the top narrow part where I could mount a smaller pool/pond and then get a bit of a flow going on from top pool to bottom pool.

I wasnt sure if the area was going to be big enough, but judging by what you have, I think it is now a viable option...so I'll stop hijacking your thread and do some more planning and present it to the forum under it's own thread :)

So, back to your thread... How many Koura/Inanga you got in the pond?

Cheers.

Last count was about 7 Inanga, 6 10-12cm's and 1 about 7cm. As for the Crays I lost count hehe. Not sure to be honest, roughly 15? Ranging from 10cm down to 3cm, having said that however I found 2 tiny 1cm Crays when I drained the pond a month or so ago so goodness knows how many I have now :D