Moving tanks (fairly) long distance?

Stephanie

If you strap them, then don't strap them vertically if that makes sense. A vertical strap will put too much pressure on the top lip on the tank and wil most likely end up with a broken pane. Place the strap horizontally around the tank so that pressure is spread evenly around all 4 sides.

I usually chuck a strop over the top but only do it up firm and use poly to spread the weight of the tank, that coupled with having it packed out really well with poly usually makes sure they dont move at all, but have also stuck poly under and in front and used a strop to pull tanks forward into the front of the trailer.. We are only talking about 2-3ft tanks here so should be very easy to move/transport, I would question the cost benefits of hiring a moving company compared to the replacement cost of second hand tanks of this size.

When I drove to Invercargill from Taupo I put poly under my 2.4m tank and blankets in between the tank and poly bins which were carrying the fish. The rest of my tanks came with the removal truck nothing was broken and from memory I think it only cost between $5k - $6k.