First post: Amazon blackwater biotope tank

Kinbote

Hey everyone, I just discovered the forum and this is my first post here. Will look forward to getting to know my way around.

I'm working on setting up an Amazon blackwater biotope, and I'm wondering what you could suggest for the most realistic substrate. In all the photos of the Amazon that I've managed to find, it looks like the bottom is leaf litter on more or less white (dirty) sand; here for example: http://www.amanotakashi.net/portfolio/a ... water.html. My tank's going to be fairly heavily planted, though, and I've never been able to find any pictures of the common South American aquarium plants in the wild, so I don't know what it's like where they grow. If anyone's seen it and has links, I'd be very interested, and if anyone has experience with using leaf litter in the aquarium, I'd like to hear.

Here's a pic of my current 340 litre (obviously non-blackwater) setup, which is about 6 weeks old, but will be replaced as soon as I get a table for my new 800 litre tank.

5284108349_0e2e4f36c5_t.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice dimensions on that big tank, you will be able to create something very cool.

I've used oak leaves (dead) with great success, they look really nice and give off tannins for the stained water effect.

The whole leaves? I bought some indian almond leaves crushed up in teabags; thought about sprinkling them on the sand.

Amazon swords.

Echinodorus sp.

Come in all sorts of variety, so I suggest choose carefully and if getting more than one, get the same type.

Also, hair grass, or elocharis - again, differents types, but they are much the same. This I'd plant close to the driftwood/rock outcrops as in the wild plants tend to grow close to the protection of sturdy objects, and fragile plants especially.

Hi Kinbote and welcome to FNZAS.

We're currently in the process off creating a South American biotope as well.

Big difference between S.American and Amazon biotope. The Amazon doesn't really have a huge range of submersed plants. It's more woody.

44, is it possible to have a heavily planted but fully black water tank? What I mean is using peat to get that real brown look.

44, is it possible to have a heavily planted but fully black water tank? What I mean is using peat to get that real brown look.

With the mix of the right plants and lighting you can.. I made my nano a 'blackwater' (not strictly true) but had the colour in the water to reduce the intensity of the lights and battle string algae - worked a charm.

Plants did really well, but they were selected for based on the lights.

DSC08697CustomMedium.jpg

You could something I have always liked to try with that tank, populate it heavily with vegetation and wood so there are plenty of hiding spots. Then add heaps of small cardinal tetras or whatever other small fish, then put in a black arowana/silver arowana. I have seen it done before, the larger fish considers the small fish insignificant to the meals it receives from you, thus leaving the small fish alone. The contrast between the 2 sizes is a cool effect.

Big difference between S.American and Amazon biotope. The Amazon doesn't really have a huge range of submersed plants. It's more woody.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/c ... php?sid=31

In all honesty, I don't think there is such a thing as a south american/amazon biotope.

Hard scape may be accurate at times, but I don't think many of the fish will ever meet each other in the wild, or live in an environment that is like the scape. Theres just too much variety and diversity.

Best to pick part of the river/region and try copy that, like a pool cut off from the river, or just have an empty, dirty tank and say its part of the amazon.

I did see on tv, a large pool/lake that was crystal clear and hard heaps of fish and plants... Might see if I can find it.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/c ... php?sid=31

That's interesting, thanks. Yeah, what I have at the moment is just South American, and it's more of a geotope than a biotope.

You could something I have always liked to try with that tank, populate it heavily with vegetation and wood so there are plenty of hiding spots. Then add heaps of small cardinal tetras or whatever other small fish, then put in a black arowana/silver arowana. I have seen it done before, the larger fish considers the small fish insignificant to the meals it receives from you, thus leaving the small fish alone. The contrast between the 2 sizes is a cool effect.

Arowanas are pretty sweet but I don't want to keep something that could end up being a metre long.