New from the FAR NORTH

Sam Newman

:wave: Hi Everyone! :wave:

Great to have found this site. I was browsing the web, researching farming Koura in Aotearoa and came accross this forum. Last night I harvested a few from a stream up in the bush for food and found a few beauties. :happy1: Then I put them in a tank and they look so happy, I had to concider breeding them. I sent an email asking permission from doc, so will see how it goes. Cheers. Sam.

Welcome!

There is a fair bit in the archives here about koura. Being in the far north you might also want to look into cooling tanks! Mine have been getting far too arm today.

Keeping them is legal, and they can breed in captivity (if they don't eat eat other first!).

Actually farming them would take a bunch of permits and red tape. There are two koura farms in NZ I think.

Thanks Sam. I will give that a go. Cheers Stella. I had an idea to build a big cage with fine mesh and sink it into my little creak in the shade. It has fresh running water and silty mud for the Koura to sink into if it gets too hot. Do you think that'll work? There are a few naturally living there already but they don't grow as big as the ones up in the hills. Maybe if I feed them. I used to sit and feed the kokopu. Havn't seen them for a whyle but they're probably there too. I must have a look. 8)

We're in Okaihau and we have a number of tanks, not too many though. This is from another thread:

1 x Ar126 (currently planted, no fish)

2 x Ar380s(one empty, son's got one)

1 x Ar620(hospital /quarantine.......hopeful Congo biotope with lone Elephant nose fish when we've fully stocked other tanks)

1 x Ar850(east Asian biotope)

1 x Ar120(Amazon biotope)

1 x Sunsun 3ftr(Terrarium....3 green and golden bells)

We may also look at turning a trough into a little pond at some point that is in the garden where we are.

Very nice guys and cool that your just over the hill. We had goldfish in a trough. They did well for about 10years then they started growing lumps. When we found Big Red floating, we tried moving the others but they didn't make it. I think someome may have washed their hands in the water with something toxic on their hands or it could have been a disease. I have had my little pond (4mL X 4mW X 2mD) full of fish, I had Orandas, Selestials and a variety of Commets but they have all died exept for about 6 medium sized Commets. They have breed in the pond before and been quite happy, perhaps it is too hot. I have Abasinion bananas and a couple of lillys for shade. maybe not enuf? They are friendly. If you sit by the edge, they come up for a pat.