Miracle Mud

reef

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very interested in MM. Not for the MM system itself, just for the fact that I think skimmerless is the 'ultimate'. Little doubt that skimmerless tanks have better success with things like gonaopora (sp?), gorgonians, lps (catiphillia) etc.

Going skimmerless/MM is probably better suited to the more hardcore/experanced reefkeeper (that counts me out, eh Alois?), where as a skimmered system (hybrid berlin method) is far more likley to succed, particulary succeed from the excess a new reeker tends to do (over feed, change everything in the tank regulary, hands in tank alot, over stock etc).

Good luck with it.

Pie

Skimmer systems due seem to have more margin for error than MM . However it is all untested in NZ , so i will be able to find out soon.

Keeping gonaopora is not problem at all, my 3 are going very well, i think it is more a myth that you cant keep them long term.. It comes down to the species?. I agree some are very hard to keep. but so far i have had no problems at all.

caluerpa will use nitrates, (not as much per mass as freshwater plants/algae), but more than mangroves, it also grows faster, so you are removing more per kg, and more volume for a particular time than you would with mangroves.

However, I think the biggest consumer of nitrates will be the mud itself acting as a DSB. DSB's are extremely effective in reducing nitrates.

Caluerpa will consume phosphates, most importantly it will use organic phosphates, rather than orthophosphates which most test kits actually measure.

Layton

Day 10 update on MM.

Tank started to show signs of diatoms all over the glass and sump.

algae growing well , however have had some die off.

Corals looking good and acros are open all the time.

will post updated pics in a few weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

Miracle mud update 5/2/2005

Its been 1 month since i started. here are updated photos of the algae which is starting to grow fast , but the hot weather has slowed it a bit as my tank has been sitting at 30c almost every day, so far all coral still look great.

The Algae in the photo has overtaken the mexicana. still dont know what type it is.

Cyno is going as it was looking getting bad, but this is normal when starting MM

Deltec skimmer which has 4 pumps it still only running 1 pump only

Mud sump lights still run 24/7

test results today are

Nitrate 2ppm

phostphate .19ppm

so not much change

Algae at 7/1/2005

caulepra.jpg

algae at 5/2/2005

algae5-feb-2005.jpg

algae1-5-feb-2005.jpg

First time I have read this thread front to back.

Interesting topic. Will be good to see the results.

The link to the German web site was impressive. No skimmer? WICKED.

I reckon it must be involving autotrophic de nitrifying bacteria within the MM. (Maybe heaps more effectively than a DSB.

The large amount of Aluminium could be associated with the clarity.

(Aluminium sulphate is a pool floculant which grabs and binds extremely small particles into large lumps that can be mechanically filtered or siphoned).

And the large amount of Iron could be involving the other metal eating bacterias that Layton was chatting about earlier.

I am running quite a large amount of Caulerpa also and the stuff grows like crazy simply sitting in a bare glass dam which overflows directly into the sump.

But I am still struggling to get the DOCS lower in comparison to the waste that is being produced from the water column.

I wonder where the silicon/quartz comes into it.

Hey PIES, your post on saying that Skimming is an natural is not quite true either, (If thats what you meant).

The crashing of the waves and white tops creates heaps of foaming action which ends up on beaches. As seen on a very stormy day.

I still think Skimming is imperative.

Just my thoughts!

Another intersting thing to think about is the relesae of green DOCS from the caulerpa.

If you sit some in a bowl for a couple of minutes, green DOCS leach almost instanly into the bowl.

This cant be good returning to the main tank.

They state the mud somehow removes this. HOW?