What's wrong with my Bully?

blueether

does it actually HAVE a pectoral fin?! :o

Is the red a raw injury or something under the skin?

Good spot. I was wondering how long it would take for someone to see (or not see in this case)the obvious.

I'm guessing it is a birth defect along with the red mark, or it was the lucky one that got away from a trout/cray.

Got this one last weekend with another 3 to make the bully count upto 6. Unfortunately one of the other new arrivals has got whitespot - just a single spot so far. treating with salt, as per what I read in some random book I found :wink:

Oh... Dobsonfly don't like salty water - one of them up and died after only half the salt had gone in, at least one has survived though.

So is there even a bump or stub? How well does it swim? Bullies don't do much body movement, more pectoral movement (or maybe it is so fine it is hard to see?)

I know a site that is teeming with banded kokopu, eels and koura. The bandeds are often missing fins (or are DENTED!), the eels have bite marks and the koura missing legs. Everyone seems robustly healthy though!

No lump/stub, might be a slight dip. It swims well enough but does favor the end of the tank with less current. It uses its pelvic fin a lot and is always on a slight lean in the water and at rest. The pelvic fin on the damaged side is always held a lot more vertical than the other side.

Live inverts are unlikely to bring in much by the way of diseases. Most fish diseases are either opportunistic things are are in the water all the time and only can infect when a fish is immunologically vulnerable. inverts are often carriers for parasites, but given that in the wild the fish would be eating these inverts every day of their lives, parasites are rarely problematic.

It is much much easier to quarantine all new arrivals than risk all your fish with an outbreak. Hopefully since you saw that spot early and are treating then there won't be too much risk this time.