New Native keeper

blueether

Hello all, new member with a new native tank...

It started out as a west coast (waikato) stream with shrimp and two bullies.

I'm not sure what sort of bullies yet as they are only 25-30mm but look to have stripes on their cheeks so I'm guessing they could be redfinned?

anyway went to a local stream to get some invertebrates for their food and accidentally got a torrentfish :)

Some pics:

5208194959_4bb49c4ca8.jpg

5208187235_f60dc1c7bd.jpg

5208194957_5f8eddd3e9.jpg

5208194961_3236b2696e.jpg

5208187237_e4ee392be6.jpg

by nzbeeman, on Flickr

Very nice. 8) What's the sand? It looks really really natural in there.

Thanks. The sand is the 'nice' iron sand we get on the west coast in these parts.

"accidentally got a torrentfish"!!!!??

dude that epic! :D and I would of guessed common bullys? I'm terrible at telling the female reds and the commons apart :oops: :P

yeah, just turning over rocks with a net down stream to get the critters and low and behold...

LOL 'accidentally' got a torrentfish! I can so relate...

Very nice looking tank there, interesting with the sand.

I am not sure what the bullies are. There are diagonal stripes there, but they look a bit odd.

Going by face-shape commons can probably be eliminated. Uplands aren't in your area, and definitely not bluegills, so it is probably down to Cran's or redfins. Likely redfins.

Do you have a closer photo?

Nice 'pregnant' shrimp, and the mayfly larva photo is cute. Those critters are neat to watch in a tank.

Welcome to the hobby :bounce:

I am not sure what the bullies are. There are diagonal stripes there, but they look a bit odd.

Going by face-shape commons can probably be eliminated. Uplands aren't in your area, and definitely not bluegills, so it is probably down to Cran's or redfins. Likely redfins.

Do you have a closer photo?

another pic, high ISO so very noisy:

5223055242_37830a0ff5.jpg

Both of them change their darkness depending on if they are over the black sand or the light pebbles etc

Yes, I would say redfin female (the males have the red fins, females are brown and less dramatically marked).

Bullies change colour easily, males more intensely. Sometimes it is about being dominant or territorial (feeding or spawning times) other times it is about blending in. Dark gravel and dull lighting leads to darker, more intensely coloured fish.