Next Tank: Asian Brakish

Fishkeepa

Hi all

I have currently broken down my tank, but I'm keen to get planning on my next tank. I wanted something interesting and different, but being a student wanted it to be reasonably cheap and low maintanence. I have chosen an general Asian brackish biotope after reading this on PFK's website: Brakish Goby Aquarium

I think the general aquascape with wood and rocks is nice but it could be enhanced with a few plants.

My tank is only small, 100 litres (90*30*38cm) With a single light tube in it.

I have been reading as much as I can on Brakish aquariums, but there doesnt seem to be as much in depth information about them available. So I have a few questions:

In terms of filtration will my Fluval 205 do fine or because it is partly marine will this require/benefit from some live rock?

What plants would do well in this tank, so far I am thinking lots of java fern on the wood; some polysperma, indian fern and vallis for the background and hairgrass and possibly crypts in the foreground .

Are there any others that would do well? Will crypts survive in brackish conditions? I have heard Cialata does but can we get that one here?

In terms of fish I have settled on Bumble bee gobies and Orange chromide cichlids. I wanted Malaysian Halfbeaks but I don't think you can get them in NZ. I will probably have to slowly acclimatize these as they wont come as brakish fish.

Here are a few Pictures of me playing around with what I have from the old tank.

IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

I think it looks quite centralised as a composition, Ill continue to play around with it

I collected some of the wood from Himitangi Beach, my main concern is that the large piece is a softer wood. It kinda smells a bit. Will these be safe once soaked and had poured boiling water over to use in the tank? I guess if they leach a little salt it cant harm a brakish tank, other concerns would be them having possibly floated down a stream with farm run off.

Suggestions, tips are welcome and appreciated

I think its looking really good in terms of composition.

Distracting piece for me atm is the straight piece coming out on the 2nd quarter from the left.

While I do think you need something there, I think it could do with a better piece, see if you can find another more naturally shaped one at the beach?

And possibly some smaller pieces coming back down towards the ground, simulating roots :)

just my 2 cents :bounce:

brackish aquariums (esp with the fish you have chosen) are closer to freshwater than marine. don't stress about it too much, no special filtration is required. I have seen live rock in a brackish aquarium but i think it was very salty. try hardy plants that like hard, alkaline water (that will kill some plants, ie. swords, before the salt will) Java fern does really well. orange chromides come in brackish water (at least at HWFF), BB gobies usually come from fresh.

Distracting piece for me atm is the straight piece coming out on the 2nd quarter from the left.

I think if that peice had some nice bends or kinks in it it would look more natural. I will definitely have a look out for some more driftwood.

Good to know about the filtration, I think vallis will grow ok , I've read it likes harder alkaline conditions. Still not too sure about how crypts would do.

Do you have a salt level in mind ???

Something in between roughly 1.005 and 1.010 SG will suit these fish I think, not very salty really.

• 1 month later...

Well I have taken the plunge and set up my tank,

I bought some clear 16mm hosing from bunnings and attached this to my Fluval 205 and it seems to be doing a good job and doesnt look so obvious behind the tank.

The sand came from the local landscaping place and is quite fine, it looks quite murky when you fill the tank but it clears over a week or so. I found some more driftwood and this was soaked over the christmas break.

Here is a photo from the intial set up on monday. I think the murky water looks quit good really

IMG_1194.jpg

The java moss came from wet petz $2 for a bag not bad really

I also got some narrow leaf java fern from Supasi on Trademe

Further plants will be pockets of hair grass, regular java fern and windelov on the wood, vallisneria and I'm think indian fern and Polysperma to complete the background, although I quite like being able to see the back of the tank

I might try some smaller rocks around the larger rocks and some leaf litter

Here is another photo

Here is a picture with the java moss spead out and the piece of narrow leaf java fern on the right where it will hopefully spread over thar peice of wood

IMG_1195.jpg

Its all a bit messy at the moment but it looks like it will be a good little tank

I would go for a light coloured sand, maybe lower the water level a bit, put some tall spindly wood in that goes above the surface IMO that would look good. Because of tank size you would be limited to gobies and puffers wouldn't you, scats etc grow too big and you wont find archers.

• 2 weeks later...

A few weeks on and here is the result.

Some smaller stones are now scattered around the larger ones to try break it up a bit and there is some leaves scattered throughout. The fern leaf was sitting on an angle but likes to float back up to vertical, hopefully once it is waterlogged it will sit on an angle and look a bit more natural. There is also the Val at the back. Still going to get more java fern to go on the wood and maybe some hairgrass to plant in pockets around the rocks. The hairgrass would be harvested to stay fairly sparse.

IMG_1200.jpg

IMG_1198.jpg

Bumblee bee gobies are not currently available from any of the suppliers until maybe a month away so I have bit of time to play around with it before any livestock goes in. I am really enjoying this set up so far.

Earlier in the week HFF had bumblebee gobies if you don't mind the shipping part

Really? I might give them a ring and find out which supplier they are getting them from. It's kind of cheeky but that way I can order them in down here through the LFS.

I think I might have some daphnia in the tank, not too sure how they got there perhaps on the leaves

Wow your tank is looking fabulous :hail:

I think you should put in more Bumblebee Gobies than six - maybe about 10?

As for Crypts, you can try Cryptocoryne crispatula var. balansae. It likes hard water, but I'm not sure how it will respond to the salt. You will also need to invest in JBL Root Balls if you want to keep it healthy - Cryptocorynes are root feeders.

As for Crypts, you can try Cryptocoryne crispatula var. balansae. It likes hard water, but I'm not sure how it will respond to the salt. You will also need to invest in JBL Root Balls if you want to keep it healthy - Cryptocorynes are root feeders.

I think might give it a go. I did put some aquatic fertilizer under the sand in anticipation of the hairgrass so they should be fine. I think balansae might fill in the left hand side at the back nicely because it grows quite tall.

• 2 weeks later...

The latest info that have heard is that Brooklands would have gobies in about 5 weeks time, this was about three weeks ago so hopefully soon. I cry at every list which comes out without them on it :tears:

The last resort would be to get them from HFF as they have them.

Nobody has orange chromides available at the moment