Which Otocinclus sp. are commonly avaliable in NZ?

hovmoller

the normal variety I think from HFF? Does it matter what species they are or is it just for looks?

Well... call me a geek but I like to read up a bit on potential fish I will put in my tank.. :lol:

I'm sure the "normal" one will be fine but just wanted to find out if there are different sp avaliable and then find out what their subtle differences are..

There are a fair few diff species here; all sold as otto cats.

They are imported together as ottos, and sold as such :lol:

Thanks P44.. and a big HOORAAYYY for the brilliant importing/naming system in place.. :(

I guess I'll just go and ask for "some of those" because they look pretty!! :x

Yea I saw a few in HFF that definitely looked different to each other in the same tank. Asked them if there were two different kinds in there and was told 'most likely yes' but as they just get them together they just get sold as general 'ottos'. The only oto that I think looks different enough for it to matter to me is the otocinclus cocama, they look amazing imo, but they aren't even on the allowable list it seems. Wish we could get them, but I reckon they'd still be hard to get even if they were on the list really :lol:.

• 4 weeks later...
Otos are my favorite algae eater and I would love some O.cocoama but I think the one we usually get is either O. affinis or O. vittatus.

i think I've ended up with 2 affinis and 1 vittatus. The vittatus does not hang with the other two so I need to try and find another like him.

But I have discovered they all love silverbeet!! that's when all 3 will stay together, on a piece of silverbeet for days .. I wait for them to leave it so i can remove it but they don't want to leave the silverbeet leaf, continuing to munch holes and shred it. ! I always thought they would only eat algae but they seem to love silverbeet and will also graze on pumpkin. The tank is not short on algae either haha.

With the silverbeet and pumpkin I very lightly cook it .. minimal.. just to soften up ever so slightly before I put it in. 30 seconds in a shallow dish of water in the microwave does the trick for 1/2 leaf of silverbeet or a small piece of sliced pumpkin.

My whiptail will also hang around while the gourami and guppies peck at it too . Choc zebra and fighter don't seem interested.