Amazon Disaster

Rabbit

• 2 weeks later...
I drove just recently 2500 km through Mato Grosso, seeing only soya from horizon to horizon - when I had crossed it during my childhood with my mother, it was full of rivers and creeks and the thickest primary rainforest on earth. (Heiko Bleher - practicalfishkeeping.co.uk)

That's the point.

Europeans cows eat brazilian soya.

This is just insane...

We all know about BP disaster. But how many have been told about 60 years of oil slicks in the Amazon ?... They turned it into a giant sewer. They burned oil wastes without any precautions, poisonning atmosphere, creating black rains.

Ok.

We can say : Amazon is a so wild area, a thick native forest.

It must be damn hard to keep a check on the installations.

We had an oil slick in France, one year ago. Not in the sea, not in the ocean, not on the coasts but right in the middle of a protected land, the last half arid steppe down here. Yep. Because of a pipeline leak they don't even notice. Four millions liters of oil, a two meters rip in a pipeline which produced a four meters high geyser of oil and the company didn't even notice it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xa3e29_fuite-de-petrole-dans-une-reserve-n_news

Guess what.

One year after this disaster, the area is still contamined.

They tried to unpollute it. But they failed.

So you can imagine what happens daily in the rainforest.

When you live ina country where 99% of the population is poor - unfortunately, cutting trees, destroying nature is the only way to live.

i guess we are just animals in the end of the day.

Cutting down forest to grow crops for fuel and food - is just normal, shame but nothing else we can do i guess.

shame about the species, only a few weeks ago i saw an article saying they discovered 1200 new species in the amazon.