BROWN ALGAE ON SIDES OF TANK

aquaticmum

i still get quite alot on my glass, and just wondering what i am doing wrong. I have a aqua one 620t and it is not overstocked, so not sure. maybe it could be that we a on bore water so I have high nitrates. might put my nitrate zorb back in tank filters and see if this makes a difference

Brown algae is caused by lack of light.

Agreed!

It can also be caused by high silicates, photoperiods over 11 hours and excessive nitrate or phosphate.

Brown 'algae' are actually diatoms (single celled organisms) and they are a temporary problem in newly set up tanks. It will usually resolve and not come back but it can be a sign of imbalance so it is good to try and sort it out so you don't get worse algae problems.

One solution is to get some fast growing plants that will use up the nutrients. Then, slowly (over a week or so) increase the photoperiod to 9 hours and ensure that your lighting intensity is good for the plants you are keeping. Do a weekly 50% water change and supplement with carbon (CO2 or liquid carbon). This will get things going in the right direction toward balance. :D