Expensive day so far!

Caryl

Grant is away on a course today so took the opportunity to send me down to the tyre place to get 4 new tyres on the Kia 4WD. That was expensive enough but when I went to pick it up I was informed that when they jacked it up the left front shock lost all it's fluid!

The vehicle ran out of its warranty on Sunday on the way home from Hamilton :cry:

The local agent says he will see if he can get it replaced under warranty as it is so close and he knows how well it has been serviced - since he has been doing it. He will also have to do both shocks but we will have to pay for the other.

They have to order the shocks in so it will be a day off the road and I think Grant is fully booked so will have to cancel something :roll:

Oh well, as of Wednesday night he had already worked a 44 hour week so perhaps he will get a break. Most of the places he goes requires the 4WD so he can't use one of our other vehicles instead.

that's cars, bit odd it has failed as the vehicle doesn't sound too old but then it's uses must put additional stress on some parts. my last warrant cost me around $1K, one of the brake calipers had started to leak but in the end due to them being old racing items modified for the application i had to do it all over again. i learnt alot & the car was off the road for two weeks but that is just part of having what i have. :)

that's cars, bit odd it has failed as the vehicle doesn't sound too old but then it's uses must put additional stress on some parts. my last warrant cost me around $1K, one of the brake calipers had started to leak but in the end due to them being old racing items modified for the application i had to do it all over again. i learnt alot & the car was off the road for two weeks but that is just part of having what i have. :)

Shocks are a wear item though, I think I've seen suggested replacement intervals of around 30-50K. I think most cars never get theirs replaced though.

Shocks are a wear item though, I think I've seen suggested replacement intervals of around 30-50K. I think most cars never get theirs replaced though.

they certainly get tested for warrants, i had to replace some in my legnum 6 months ago. i guess it depends on which warrant place you use to & whether they do test them at all. good quality shocks will last longer to, my SS has bilsteins & they have been in the car since 1993 & still very firm.

Im a A grade equivlent mechanic and shock should only need replacing whrn weak, leaking, or damaged there is no KM intervial that they should be done, also if only one shock is stuffed and the other one looks ok then there is no reason for it to be replaced. Just being over cautious and wanting to get some extra money from the job I think

Interesting that both places recommended doing both (and one does not do the work so wasn't looking for a sale) but both know where Grant goes and the stress put on his vehicles so probably figure if one has gone the other isn't far behind :roll:

This is one 4WD that gets hard off-road use, not used just to take kids to school or to get groceries. :wink:

I think your next car should be a new Range Rover.

They can do real off roading and still provide every creature comfort you can think of. Good cars too. Don't buy an old one!

Company should pay for the Kia though eh? Seeing as its used mainly for business work.

they certainly get tested for warrants, i had to replace some in my legnum 6 months ago. i guess it depends on which warrant place you use to & whether they do test them at all.

VTNZ doesn't appear to test them. I had a car with a small clunking noise for a year or two from one of the front shocks. After I sold it the new owner pulled the shock off and it completely loose, no resistance or absorbing shocks at all.:)

VTNZ doesn't appear to test them. I had a car with a small clunking noise for a year or two from one of the front shocks. After I sold it the new owner pulled the shock off and it completely loose, no resistance or absorbing shocks at all.:)

ah, i am confusing the wheel bearing test. they look for fluid leaks & sometiomes lower the car down onto blocks to test the shock.. :oops:

Took mother to ChCh today to catch her Aussie flight but hit a rock on the way (we suspect it fell off a truck as there were no slips or places nearby it could have fallen from). Totally destroyed the front left tyre (only a couple of months old) so more expense! :roll:

Three cheers for Harold, the friendly Downer Works man who stopped his truck and helped us out. :hail::bow:

I rang the ChCh depot for Works this morning and told his boss the story and how much we appreciated Harold's help. He is going to make Harold the "Employee of the Month" :bounce: :hail:

We would have had to sit and wait some time for the AA if Harold hadn't come to our rescue. He got the car jacked up (luckily he had a piece of wood to slip under the jack as we were having trouble with it sinking) the tyre off and the spare on then he checked to see what was dripping (turned out to be just the air con). All with a friendly smile.

When he said his name was Harold my dad promptly asked "The giraffe?" He was probably used to that so only laughed and said that no, he was too short :lol:

On the way back we actually caught up with Grant at the shingle fans (he had been working up Blue Duck Valley) so followed him home. We made it in time to help out our daughter's Quiz Night team and rocketed them back into first place! (had dropped to 5th last week). Go the Foxy Morons! :bounce: :bounce: