Advice wanted on rearing clown babies

wasp

Most don't survive. There's two reproductive strategies in nature.

1. Small number of babies, dependant on parents for a long time to ensure survival.

2. Produce a large number of babies and forget about them hoping a few will survive through chance and stats.

Most marine fish are the latter, they produce a lot of fry and often letting them drift into the open ocean, far from the reef where they are more likely to get eaten, for them to return when they are older.

Layton

What about freshwater rotifer cultures? You know a jar, a drop of egg juice (boiled egg through a muslin coth), left in the sun for a days until it populates?

I dont think this is roiters, but Infusoria (microscopic aquatic protozoans)

I just read an article on rotifers, the majority of rotier species are fresh water, the best species for tropical marine larvae is from brckish water so maybe you could just collect some nsw from a river inlet and drip a micro algea culture into it and hope you get a culture going

Better than no source at all.

It's effectively the same thing. The same goes for phyto cultures, if it becomes contaminated (usually with a predator species) it will not last long. It will "crash".

Say a phyo culture gets contaminated with rotifer, the rotifers will consume all the phyto, causing it to crash.

If a rotifer culture gets contaminated with another animal which eats it, it will crash.

If your starting from a natural source, it's likely that the water collected will contain all sorts of predator species.

Layton

Oh well, the eggs all hatched last night and I can't find any of the babies. Noticed the flame hawk is pretty excited though!

I'm going to place a piece of glass against the side of the tank where they lay, so hopefully next time I'll be able to remove the eggs prior to hatching.

Sorry to hear that Wasp. :cry:

Did you turn all pumps off before lights out and sit waiting with a tourch?

Kermit

You're onto it Kermit, that's exactly what I did!

I think shining the torch on them every few minutes must be what stopped them hatching, eventually I gave up and went to bed, but left the pumps off.

Anyhow, thismorning nothing to be seen, I think that flame hawk got them all.

However, it's a learning experience, I'll get the egg laying bit of glass sorted, and then it'll be on to the next stage - how to feed.

When my cleaner shrimp and boxing shrimp spawn the tank goes nuts. All my fish, clowns, bangii, dwarf angels 'pacman' around the tank until noting is left. Be surprised if there is a single baby left after 10 minutes :(

Good luck, from what I under stand clownfish are quite easy once you have the food sorted. However no food, no chance.

Pie