How to make sump for existing tank?

chris_kerryn

Right, I have started a new string for this so hopefully more people will read this. I want to make a sump for my existing tank.

I have existing 75l tank with existing trickle filter and an external hang on tank skimmer which I retrofitted. skimmer discharges into trickle filter, which is backwards I know but can't do much about that.

Not happy with the level of treatment, filtration that Im getting.

I've got it pretty much sorted how to set it up. I have a 30l container that is about as big as I can get in my cabinet. Biggest problem is getting the water out of the tank in a safe and consistent manner. I know the best way is with an overflow weir with a hole drilled so it only drains as fast as it comes in. Note. The tank is operational so I have been advised constructing an overflow weir with hole in the tank would be very risky.

Being an engineer, I am convinced there is a solution short of emptying tank and starting again. Is there?

I could probably do something about 100mm down from the top. siliconing something at this level would probably be ok for a day. thats about how far it goes down when I do a water change.

A syphon has been mentioned, but this could be as risky having a pump at each end (one in tank and one in sump)

also drilling a hole in an existing tank has also been discouraged.

Has anyone done it? I could have the water below the level of the hole but still sounds difficult, and how do you do it.

I have thought about building an overflow box say 100 x 100x 100 in the corner as I would for a normal overflow, and possibly rig some sort of syphon there. It cannot drain the tank, but if you lose the syphon some how or if the flow rate alters it would be impossible to prevent the tank from flooding as Pies also suggested.

3 months into it and I have already outgrown my poor little tank.

I might just start building a new tank. how much would it realistically cost to setup a 4-5 foot tank once you have tank and stand?

Put your thinking caps on guys

Chris

I would drill the tank. A weir can work, but they are problematic. Syphon or 2 pump systems are flakey at best.

Drilling the tank works. Other systems may or may not work. The problem is the 'sleep at night' factor.

Good luck.

Pie

If it were me, I would buy a new tank (or even better, design then get one specifically made) It is surprisingly cheap to do this. My 5 foot tank complete with overflow and holes drilled (550 litre tank) cost me $320 (thats ALL up, including glass and labour). I can provide a contact if you like.

You can get the overflow to suit and all holes drilled exactly as you want. Even get ones drilled for closed loops. Once it's done, its much easier to transfer rock & livestock over as you can do it in stages if necessary.

Once you're completely done, flick the old tank off on trademe and get a bit of your money back! If you want to do it properly, get a tank made - its really not that expensive.

I want to drill my 5' tank but the glass guys said they would need to remove the panel to put it in thier press and this is not an option. There must be other ways, I need one 1" hole for the overflow and 4 3/4" holes for the closed loops and possibly 2 more for the sump return all on the back panel. Is this too many holes for one 5' panel before causing it to be seriously weakened??

doc - i would have a new tank built too. but no, it isnt impossible to drill a already established tank. i had my 3 foot sump get 2 x 20mm holes drilled in it. the reason why they wont do it is not because they cant - they simply owe you a new tank if it breaks. its not worth the risk for them. I gave the verbal on my 3 foot sump that i understand there is a chance it breaks and if it does, tough for me!!! i got the 3 footer free anyway so i took the risk and it worked out.

oh - and apparently there is a greater risk the larger the hole! larger holes need doing on a press to be done properly. something like that anyway :D

can you do it with a normal drill and glass cutting bit? can you buy them?

dont you need to run water over it while you are drilling? not possible in my case.

I know some glaziers but they will all be on holiday.

already getting good ideas for a new tank, but this has to be a few months away as I am moving house and dont want to move a big tank as hear its a real drama. will probably start building it gradually soon.

want to try to get this one a bit better in the mean time. I may look at trying to build an overflow box. would maybe need to place the pump in the sump right near the surface, that if the syphon breaks, then only a small amount can be drained from the sump. better to stuff a powerhead than anything else.

I did want to know how much all the other decent stuff costs on the new tank say for 5 foot before I actually jump into it.

Im guessing that my tank and stand will be about $1k

decent skimmer

lights

big enough pumps

anything else you need that I dont have.

sump sound fairly cheap and easy now.

Oh yeah, my leather is looking better. I aimed my small powerhead at it and it is cleaning it up. I found out that they secrete a mucus and it needs to be washed away or it can go bad.

Cheers for the help guys