Furry Algae, cloudy water - What am I doing wrong?

summersnz

Hi Guys,

So this tank has been going about 3 months now, 91 litres, 6 Danio, 3 Striata loaches and 4 little catfish, random plants from animates in the back corner and some sort of sword in the front (a couple of little "crypt'?s that have been munched somewhat). Water chemistry fine, religiously change approx 30% of the water weekly, filtration = Aqua one hang on 500L/hr. Lighting = a 30 cm UV tube and a 60cm strip light that doesn't give off as much light as I would like.

Ever since I started this tank the water has been cloudy, I did my research and figured it was just the driftwood (from HFF), but now it seems the problem is getting worse and you can see from the photo's that the plants are covered in a furry algae.

I would love to have crystal clear water in this tank, but don't really know what I'm doing wrong... the only thing I can think off is that I don't have enough light? but thought I'd ask you guys before going and buying expensive new lights...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FNZAS keeps saying my pics are too big so here are some direct links:

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff4 ... 0112-1.jpg

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff4 ... 2_0107.jpg

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff4 ... 5_0110.jpg

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff4 ... 6_0111.jpg

Interesting danios.. *cough*

Was waiting for somebody to say that :wink:

Ever since I started this tank the water has been cloudy, I did my research and figured it was just the driftwood (from HFF), but now it seems the problem is getting worse and you can see from the photo's that the plants are covered in a furry algae.
Did you rinse out the gravel?

I had this problem with a piece of driftwood i was given from a previous tank, the furry "algae" is not a algae but a fungus that eventually left untreated started doing the same thing but not as bad as i treated it fast, i used pimafix, a fungal treatment for fish but worked on the tank also, got it from animates.

If anyone else knows a better way to treat this i would be interested also, but i would try pimafix it worked for me.

The pump in the first pic appears to have the same pink tinge, I am thinking plant tubes?

Anyways, I had the issue with the dust. My sand wasn't well rinsed enough and all the dust got caught on the algae. Try get some flow around the plants.

Here's putting an end to the debate hopefully...

No one can sell illegal fish.

The danios were brought into the country a long time ago now, and made it into the country because they were imported in with another name.

NZ has anti GM laws (treehuggers)... Subsequently that made the fish illegal to import in the first place.

If your fish are the red ones like in that pic, take them back to the store with proof of purchase (can be looked up if you are in the club) and you will get a refund or a replacement as you wish.

Make sure to take the fish back and the store will deal with them appropriately.

If they are not, do not panic.

The GM danios were sold by almost all retailers when they were imported.

The modification was done my transplanting the gene for luminosity of that type from a jellyfish species into the danios genome.

In all honesty your danios do not appear to be the GM danios.

Yeah, greyish... Will take a trip to HFF this weekend.

Would just like to catagorically state for the record that these fish are not pink and, as far as I can tell from the link provided, are not genetically modified. Here is what they looked like in my old tank:

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff4 ... G_1787.jpg

Your fish look fine. Phoenix44 has given good advice. Please note (to all the others on this topic as well) that there are legal colour variations of zebra danio in the country for sale in shops that are not gm danios. There are pinks and yellows but they are no 'glofish' at all but just colour variants on the legal variety. Please be careful not to jump to conclusions.

What sort of media are you running in your filter? I am thinking that both the cloudy water and the 'furry' plants are two types of algae. I'll have a better look at your pics this evening as I need to go to work!