Temperature range of natives

Ira

Yeah, under 20 degrees is good. Mine can get up to 25 degrees over summer, but anything over 20 and the fish (and I) are stressing.

Yes, big water volume = less fluctuation = good.

Also a larger surface area tends to work better when using fans for evaporative cooling.

Focus first on stopping the warm from getting into the tank. Then there is less warm to need to get out of the tank ;)

Have the tank in the coolest room of the house.

Leave the windows open during the day if you have security stays or are home.

Leave the curtains closed during the day in summer if you can.

Large volume of water.

Have the lights on a timer, and on only when needed.

Raise the light off the lids so heat can escape into the room.

Insulate the back/sides.

Remember submerged pumps put their heat directly into the water.

A chiller or air conditioning does make life easier, but I only need fans and ice with my current setup.

The big problem with heat and natives is warm water = less oxygen. Natives tend to have a high oxygen requirement because they evolved in an environment with high oxygen. Air pumps can really help, or other pumps that create a lot of water movement and surface turbulence.

It really helps if the tank is well maintained. I know someone who does not cool his tanks, but he does 50% waterchanges twice weekly over summer. If the water is good quality the fish are healthy, so they can deal with a bit more stress from increased temperatures. Chronic high temps or fluctuation as well as poorly maintained tanks is a recipe for disaster.

I hope that doesn't put you off! I don't think natives are any harder than any other fish to keep successfully, just they have different requirements to the species that most people are used to. :)