AR980 lighting upgrade - with dimming

cessna driver

I have completely removed my T8 lighting from my Aquaone AR980 that being 2X30W (6500K & 8000K) and 1X25W (15000K) lamps.

I now have 2 X 39W T5HO (power-glo and life-glo lamps)

These are dimmable from about 10% to 100% (Less than 10% the high output lamps become unstable.)

002-1.jpg

This is the tank with all 3 of the old lamps on

100pc.jpg

This is the tank with the 2 39W T5HO at 100% brightness

50pc.jpg

50% (approx) both lamps still on

25pc.jpg

35% (approx) both lamps on

10pc.jpg

10% (approx) both lamps on.

I still need to make and fit some reflectors so efficiency should improve some more.

As a bonus the whole hood has lost about 3KGs with the removal of the old control gear.

I still can get 1 more lamp in there but would need to install a fan.

Lamps are soft starting with no or little flicker and dim up to 100% in about 1.5sec.

I still need to add some components to lengthen my dimming time as well as controlling the air pump and future CO2.

I have some undisclosed other features I want to add to it in the coming months :lol:

Hopefully my plants grow better.

Thanks,

I'm using a twin electronic ballast that will also operate with non high output tubes (21W) with touch dimming control (Push button) made by Osram

I also needed to change the end caps to suit the T5 lamps and completely rewire the hood. The hood still looks like the stock Aquaone hood from the outside.

Normal electronic ballasts / ECG can't and won't dim, a specialized ballast is required

The tubes are the Hagen brand

Cheers

Ballast was about 200 with my discount. It uses a digital interface and is designed for building automation and connection to a computer so is dearer

than the one I intended to use that uses an analogue interface to control the dimming. (was supplied wrong so I took it, but dose allow for more control options)

The analogue one would be about 130 ish

end caps were about $6 for 4