My attempt at breeding crickets

Captain Soup

So i have decided that its too expensive to keep buying live insects so im attempting to breed my first lot of crickets..

The plan is to leave a dish of moist soil in the breeders area (area B in the photo) for a few days then transfer it to the incubating area (area A)

My questions are: What is the optimum temperature for them to breed in and for the eggs to hatch in?

How much soil do they need to lay their eggs in? Ive put in about 3cm at the moment

Does the set up in the photo look about right?

If any anyone has any tips to help me out it would be greatly appreciated.... again :hail:

Oo and do they sleep? because their chirping is rather noisy!

SANY1498-1.jpg

ditch the soil...too many bugs,get some vermiculite or propagating sand that you can sterilise beforehand.you should have a better hatching system than that as when they hatch they are going to be hard to contain?checkout google or old postings on here.As for the chirping...get used to it!!

and there i was thinking i was being fancy using dads potting mix...hard to contian as in put a roof on it? :-? you mean the adults will eat the young or the bigger uglier young will eat them, drat so the tanks not a good idea? go for a couple 10L plastic cotainers instead?

and yea google is where iv got the info from that lead to this,as for this site im having a lil difficulty navigating my way around.. but im getting there..

get used to it?...drat i thought thatd b the answer. lol.

CHEERS :D

ewwwwww crickets, im warning ya........they'l make you go mad...just like me :lol:

stare at the face below long enough you may just have nightmares :D

image removed for space

Just throw them in the terrarium, then you get to have the last laugh....

hhahahaaha not exactly...they get away some times hide under rocks then i gota take everything out ect ect...P*** me right off... Haahahahaha i wonder if Larry wants to be a vegetarian. :lol:

hahaaha i just have to try to sleep wif that chirping in my ear and i have bad enough nightmares :x !! ohhhh man... what have i got myself into.. :lol: the day i brought a lizard i said " this is going to be an INTERESTING adventure".

oh well im not one to give in.. just brought propagating sand 2 containers and a heat mat ( thermostat included :wink: ) from easy grow. relatively cheap too!!

Stretch some old stockings over the ovipostition substate to prevent adults digging up freshly laid eggs. Soil/potting mix is fine to use, just bake it in the oven at 150C until its dry- kills most fungi and bacteria. Also throw in a few cat biscuits for protein if you don't already.

should the heat mat be on all the time?

also. if anyone can help settle a debate i am having with my partner, she claims crix want moist enviroments, i think they want dry...atm the only moisture their getting is the moist sand but even thats enough to put condensation on the contianer.

cover the egg medium with gladwrap to keep moist,watchout fro moisture droplets/condensaton forming as the young will drown on hatching as mentioned.i used to prick tiny holes with a sharp toothpick etc to combat this.When they start to hatch I would lift the gladwrap ever so slightly to let them out and still keep it humid underneath.They hatch over quite a few days if you let them.The adults and babies need moisture .any lapses....huge losses,especially the babies.

• 3 weeks later...

hmmm, everything was going swell until i thought id give the crix a bit of apple, now its an ant enclosure. :evil: ivtaken the food out and put ant poison around the outside of the container but they seem to be unfazed, i know i cant put it in the container incase the crix eat it. anyvbody have any suggestions?