big native catch in wairarapa UPDATE COUPLE OF PICS

K R Brown

FEW PICS soz im no good at photos these were best of the lot can some one please ID the plants iv'e had em tank for couple months seem do ok i will try get some more

so far in tank i have

x1 eel 15cm

x6 mixed bullies

x1 9cm inanga

x30 native snails

x2 tripple fin (seem to be handling freshwater algd)

all get along fine tank is 300ltr lots rock work wood etc got 2 blue lights

DSCF1845.jpg

DSCF1843.jpg

DSCF1839.jpg

next thing i want do is try a make a tank for flounder have a long shallow tank and have been catching a heap of small ones 2-3cm range. Also stella heard you had a book about native fish where could one purchase said book please

AWESOME! :bounce:

Bullies - yellow fins.. could be Cran's bullies. You are in the right area for them too. Got any side-on photos?

Hang on, a fin on top of the head.... do you mean it just has the normal two dorsals or something weirder?

Freshwater crabs - there are native freshwater crabs but they are in Waikato and further north. Estuarine crabs can be found in freshwater.

Good to hear there were lots of elvers. The eel population is in a really bad way. Sadly they will probably mostly be fished out before they have a chance to go and breed themselves.

Flounder - AWESOMENESS!!!! Please give me detail of how you were catching these little guys. I have never seen them.

The large snails with the short smooth cone shell, dark stripes on the shells, white mantle (interior) and a thin.... cat's eye thing.... are Melanopsis trifasciata. IIRC that means dark coloured - three stripes. These are neat little snails. Really tough shells. I had some ages back but cyanobacteria toxins killed them.

Make lots of beautiful lacy egg sacs when moved to a new home, but I have no idea if the juveniles can survive in aquaria.

This is an adult inanga, is this your whitebait?

http://contamsites.landcareresearch.co. ... Inanga.jpg

I needed to come down anyway this summer to check out the lake, really excited now! :)

try get pics of bullies

they have 2 dorsal fins and a extra fin at back of head but fin triangular and sharp like an upside down triangle

snails cool got 40 of em trumpet type on tank

pic u posted exactlly same as fish we caught

and flounder we caught 20-30 coming up in whitebait net all brown black white spotted

try get pic of bullie for you buggers so quick

Sounds like a fun trip, definately agree with Stellas cry for photo's!

Speaking of which that little inanga looks like my ones. I am borrowing a fish tank to try and get some proper photo's of my fish for you all. I discovered trying to use a pyrex bowl tends to distort the picture... doh!

P.

random thought: freshwater bug guy/photographer Stephen Moore takes the most amazing underwater photos where part of the photo is looking underwater and part is looking above the surface. Apparently his trick is as technical as putting the camera in a flat-sided Click-Clack container - according to him they are very good optically, just you have to be careful not to splash the camera, and have no idea what shot you have taken.

Could be something fun to try in your pond ;)

(hehe I have way too many ideas for your pond!)

hey that looks very nice! Your rockwork is interesting. Can you post a photo showing most of the tank to see how you have landscaped it? :hail:

Those triplefins are cute :) Amazing how the general 'goby' look is just SO similar across familes, continents etc. If you are familiar with any sort of bully (or goby!) try looking up north American darters :o

Loving the snails. Have they laid you any lacy egg sacs yet?

Not sure what that plant is. Could be a type of nitella but isn't very branchy. Or is it more like a grass?

My book is so very nearly printed I am so excited! It will hopefully be done by mid-november, possibly early december at the latest.

I actually have no idea about the legal deal with taking flounder for aquaria. They are managed fishery, with a minimum length of (I think) 25cm. I really need to get talking to people to find out. (They are not in the book, partly because I have not seen one. Was intending to have them in a second edition eventually, but I need to find the legal status)

As for photos, once I took 400 and deleted all but 50, and only had a handful of good ones from that! Bullies are good - they sit still!

OK, I am officially blind. I can't see the eel! :x

If you get any close-ish side-on photos of the bullies I might be able to identify them for you.

I hope that heater is unplugged and just there for decoration? :o

Have you done any research on those triplefins? I have no idea how long they can do freshwater. They are probably ok but not sure if they can cope longterm. If you can't find anything in the archives maybe try posting on the marine section of this forum.

Looking good :):hail:

cant seem capture looks heap better in person i just left heater in there from demasoni yellow tank it is why have blue lights also not going but it is a hassle to take out as for tripple fins ive put em lil tank and going to realease them back dont want them to die

• 2 weeks later...