Lost 2 blue diamond discus in the last week

Dave+Amy

First blue diamond was around 5 months old, it was a piggy, noticed it going dark in colour and always fat, fine until one day found it floating with fungal growth on half its body, died overnight. I put it down to blockage.

Then today, fuse blew in the house and lost power to my grow - out tank for a couple of hours (was out at work), tank temp only dropped about 5/6 deg cel, found my 3 months old blue diamond dead with fungal growth on one side of body. I don't know whether it's the stress caused by the power outage or if it's connected to the death a week before, it did seem to go dark in colour this morning but otherwise nothing else wrong.

There's four more fish in the same tank but they seem fine?

I don't know what it is and not too sure what I should treat my tank with to prevent anymore losses.

I wouldnt think a slow heat loss due to a power cut should hurt enough to kill a discus unless it was already sick. I have dropped the temp by 10 -12 degrees in 10 minutes once doing a water change from the wrong bucket and apart from being grumpy they were fine.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

• 3 weeks later...

i find discus if inbred too much are very finicky and hard to care for. health problems galore, thats why i stopped getting them

I like robust hybrids, like parrots....

but discus i found that was too hybridised with no genetic diversity to avoid congenital diseases and sickness.

They are weak fish ingeneral (except i found with turq variations) pigeon bloods i found to be not as strong as the turq types.

just my observation and experience.

also many claim they are expert breeders - sure, perhaps, but jsut because one can breed them deosnt make them experts.

also blood lines in NZ seem to be very limited. so how do they perpetually breed the same strain?

Interbreeding of course..... problems there already.

im off discus for this reason also, i like the things liek cobalts, turqs - evens ome albino strains are strong. but i found pigeon blood in this country is tainted and you cant tell what is good anymore!!

(im sure my statements will cause contraversy) but this is my observation, my take and experience and what i have seen done in the country.

but such fapid fungus growth means your water may have an outbreak. I agree. Treat it. Dont cross contaminate - also weak fish will get an infestation, these fungus im sure exist already, it just atkes a weak fish to manifest itself.

another thing i noticed, lots of breeders will change water up to 100% a day, some manually some auto.

i find this somewhat weakens the fish, this theory/assesment si backed up by lfs too.

by changing the water so frequently, youe nd up wtih fish with very little immune system.

think BUBBLE BOY.

if you protect a child and never let them expose themselves to the environments, theywill be weak. To a certain degree of coruse.

I have seen big discus raised in water that wasnt changed daily.

In fact the biggest discus i have seen was not raised this way.

Big discus i purchased that was raised thsi way get sick or settle in longer.

Also, with fish heaven - it used to be owned by a HE, i purchased fish from him and they were nice good fish. well taken care of.

then she took over the operation, bought fish off her, some died, some wre sick got sick quckly etc.

when i went back and HE was gone, SHE did nto maintain tanks, dirty, and old food in there.

thast the problem.

i think you purchased at a wrong time.

Also, with fish heaven - it used to be owned by a HE, i purchased fish from him and they were nice good fish. well taken care of.

then she took over the operation, bought fish off her, some died, some wre sick got sick quckly etc.

when i went back and HE was gone, SHE did nto maintain tanks, dirty, and old food in there.

thast the problem.

i think you purchased at a wrong time.

yeah that's a real shame :(