Cyanobacteria.

DennisP

Yeah... 8)

Its in my tank... :cry:

I did a quick google search of it (after manually removing it and only finding more patches appear in 30 mins) and all I found was to either use antibiotics or starve it to kill the stuff. Antibiotics would be preferred as I am going away on thursday for a week so can't really monitor the progress of the starving. But then again, antibiotics = more resistant bacteria next time. :-?

Someone here must have had the stuff before. What have you done? Also, if I starve, I'll starve from light too. So what is the minimum length of time plants need light each day to survive?

You can actually do a total tank blackout for 3 or 4 days with no major harm to other plants. Clean as much of the cyano out as you can first. Do not feed the fish for the time it is blacked out either.

Any idea why you suddenly have the cyano now? What has changed in the tank?

You can actually do a total tank blackout for 3 or 4 days with no major harm to other plants. Clean as much of the cyano out as you can first. Do not feed the fish for the time it is blacked out either.

Any idea why you suddenly have the cyano now? What has changed in the tank?

Well, there were a few signs of it turning up and I thought that either: It might go away, or, that I was redo-ing the tank in a couple of days anyway (Yesterday). After 50% water change, removing all the bacteria I could see, and totally stirring up the sand etc etc, after a few minutes I could see more forming where I had just moved the sand. :cry: There are no fish in there at the moment, and am going away for a week which forces me to be patient and let it run its course. That is why I would like to do something now.

Plants that have light will need nutrients. Cut right back on the lights and they won't need as much. However, if you just moved those plants, they may not be established enough yet. Reduce the photoperiod, start feeding the plants so they don't develop a deficiency and do a 50% water change once or twice weekly so they can start growing. Keep removing the cyano and you'll see it all start to stabilise soon.

That is the best treatment possible, from experience. My tank was overrun with cyano once, and I did a 5 day blackout, and I never saw it again.

Alright then. Today I have totally changed all the water. Not sure how many times as I was running a siphon and hose into the tank simultaneously. This should have taken out most of the bacteria. Will do a black out starting tonight then leave the lights on a timer for the limited amount of time possible for the plants to survive. If its not gone in 10 days when I get back. Drastic measures will be taken. :evil: