Juwel Rio 240 set up for SA Cichlids (Warning: Photos)

DennisP

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...

Turns out parents had planned a trip to the gold coast since about june/july... without us finding out... :o:hail:

So yup, thats what this mystery turned out to be.

Got back and I have a new love for my firemouths! I must have forgotten to turn on the filter/heater before we left and came back to 18 degree and almost stagnant water (STINKY!) but my 2 FMs are fine! Did a water change just now and will do a big one tomorrow...

Just thought I'd share.

Well, :oops: Feel a little silly, but oh well.

After wanting Geos for so long, I started to think about their rescaping and all that I had another look in the pet shop and decided against it.

Instead I have acquired 3 Blue Acaras.

They are quite nice and I do not regret my decision. :lol:

Tank is now completely stocked (for what I had planned) and is most likely going to remain this way.

Inhabitants are:

3 Blue Acaras

2 Firemouths

2 Black ghost knife

1 L190 Royal pleco.

Now... what to talk about.

Firemouths were very aggressive when I introduced the Acaras but the Acaras took no notice :lol: Then, 30 mins later the firemouths decided to follow the Acaras around and try to school with them. :roll: Now, they go their seperate ways.

The Black Ghost knives are very calm and have seen no aggression at all. They come out to play occasionally and go exploring together. There are plenty of hiding spaces in the tank for them so all should be well.

The Pleco doesn't come out very often yet, but lost of rasping at night. :evil:

Some photos:

Oct15008.jpg

Oct15009.jpg

And, a nice horrible video to watch. Excuse the Dirty tank, Shocking camera work and spoon in the tank.

Should I be Worried or Slightly excited

As you can see from the first photo on this page (the firemouth) looks like a male with its fin extension. It also is a little larger than the other. Today I noticed the other which has no fin extensions and duller orange is medium fat and anal thing sticking out. They are both swimming around together and chasing anyone that comes too close to their home at the back of the tank.

The "male" has now become very bright orange and the blue is much brighter and is leading the other around. The (possible) "female" is following and has dark stress lines (maybe due to WC 30 mins ago).

Is "she" about to spawn, or explode?? :-?

Cleaned up the tank a bit today, and re-arranged the LHS again.

I built a sort of terrace with rocks and wood and planted a plant there.

I got some oak leaves to test with and I quite like the way it looks.

Thats pretty much all there is too it.

Heres some pictures.

Oct24005-1.jpg

Oct24003-1.jpg

Oct24011.jpg

• 1 month later...

Update:

Got bored with old set up, so I rescaped.

I love tanks/scapes that mimic nature, and I also like scapes that have a lot of hiding places.

I'm not 100% happy with this scape yet, I think it could be done better. With the driftwood I have, it is hard to get a good looking pile... :o

Inhabitants are still:

2 fire mouths

3 blue acara

2 BGK

1 L190

And I have added 3 pictus catfish.

Pictures:

Dec3003.jpg

Dec3009.jpg

PS, 1 of my BGK always rests on the ground like he's sleeping. He's fine at night and when there is food in the tank... its a bit worrying though.

Thats true. I get the feeling adding some schooling fish may make the tank look over crowded and too busy.

Which I'm not a fan of.

I like tanks where you see only a few fish first off, but the more you look, the more you find. :D

The acara generally hang out at the top quite a bit when I'm looking at them so surface fish aren't too important.

I considered some colourful plecos, but they're expensive.

• 2 weeks later...