ANY IDEAS????

newbees

cool thanks! um our tanks is 800l its 1.8m long so they have a decent amount of swimming space, and ALOT of hidey holes, its been quite a venture trying to get enough fish to make it not look so bare! :)

:o

not to much limitations on fish size there! i would go for some big haps like the empress for the redish colouring although adding large fish may have detrimental consequences on juveniles of the species you currently have. where abouts are you? i have adults & juvies available.

dunno. just a size thing I guess.

A large eyebiter colony might be more pleasing to the eye without a few small fish in the tank.

Although a few of those those red colour / orange peacocks would look stellar in that tank with the blue eyebiters for a dash of colour to break up the monotonous blue.

Personally I'd stick and fine tune the tank on the mbuna you already have, especially if you like those fish.Means you can have heaps in there

How many have you got in the tank already?

If it is not many then maybe you have the chance to change tank dynamic now and lean toward something else like a male hap/peacock setup-even 30 male eyebiters :o

If you have a number then adding young kadango, red empresses red peacocks won't give you colour for ages and the mbuna will be very boistrous for those fish. it would be hard to find big coloured adults haps in any sort of numbers.

a huge mbuna tank would be cool.

Red is difficult- maybe look for some good red Zebra.

Kenyi males go a lovely rich orange and females are nice pattern.

Aurora' with yellow/purple

The 'tropheops chilumba' on wholesale list is a smaller fish with blue male/vibrant orange female.

kenyi/ice blues/zebras will crossbreed for sure and chances are the other will also

but If you not looking to collect fry/breed in the tank then having multiples of the same genus of different species will give you heaps of colour/patterns that you probably wouldn't notice the lack of red, although Rusty's (Iodotropheus Sperengae) have a cool rusty red/salmon colour in good water.

On topic of red mbuna- Google 'SRT Labidichromis Hongi'.

I've seen line bred versions of these that are unbeleivable in their redness

NOt sure where you are but I have pleanty of aurora fry and also Labeo trewavassae Red Tops Fry available as possible aditions.

But I have to agree with Firenznz you coudl easily pick a theme and sick with it in a tank that size especially with a good amount of hidey holes.

would look just as spectacular as a great big mix of fish and would be easy to do.

you woudl have to watch for x breeding but if you are only doingthsi for display then is that such a big deal?

ducks and covers...lol

thankyou everyone for all the help! being newbees at this cichlid thing its great to know there are people out there to help!!!! :):hail: i think we will stick to the mbuna as having a specific tank will be chooooiiice, theres just sooo many out there its hard to know which ones will be good with ours, we only have about 23 at the moment but they are all adults, and big, especially the ices! nah we wont be planning on catching and growing on fry one tank on the go is plenty for us! we are definately keen to get some haps and eye biters because theres just too much room to fill it up with the smaller guys!! even tho i said we wont be catching and growing frytoday we got given a pair of jewels and their week old fry, whats the best way to keep them alive and how long should we keep mummy with her children?? cheers all Ella :)