breeding zebra danios

sunrise001

I agree with Bilbo. I have hundreds of Longfin Zebra Danios here and the hardest part is feeding the fry.

Basically all you need is a tank with heaps of moss, I mean heaps, almost so the fish cant swim through it.

feed them up on daphnia or mossies etc to get them in condition. I also used marbles to protect the falle eggs, but you can do without them if you have enough moss.

Put the adult fish in. I had two males and two females.

I just left them in there for a week and then removed them. They spawn in the morning and it is kinda obvious when they have spawned as the female lose their swollen bellies. Leave the tank for a couple of days and you should see tiny fry appear. They will usually be attached to the sides of the glass. They look like tiny slithers of glass. Shine a torch on the bottom and you should see them wriggling on the bottom.

Once they start free swimming I added a bit of green water till the tank had a slight tinge of green.

Dont panic about the food too much for the first few days but after the third day of free swimming I fed out Infusoria. The moss will provide plenty of other sustenance during feeds.

As the fry get larger you can feed them BBS and micro worms. Once they are about three weeks old you are past the hard part and they will grow fast.

Hope that helps

I am facing the same problem.

I have a tank full of rainbow fry and a few glowlight fry that are slowly starving to death because I didn't prepare in time and I cant get my infusoria / paramecium cultures to mature fast enough.

Sadly they will be ready probably by Wednesday but I wont have any fry left by then.

I am facing the same problem.

I have a tank full of rainbow fry and a few glowlight fry that are slowly starving to death because I didn't prepare in time and I cant get my infusoria / paramecium cultures to mature fast enough.

Sadly they will be ready probably by Wednesday but I wont have any fry left by then.

Worst case scenario you could feed some dissolved yeast.

Go get some green water from a water trough. Im sure you could find some some where near your house.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I use spirulina powder mixed in water to feed danio fry (and most other fry) you can buy it from most health food shops, just be sure to get powder not tablets.

I line the bottom of my spawning tanks (18x9x9) with wire mesh add about 2 inches of water (75% tabk water 25% cold water from tap) add 2 females 3 males and remove them 3 days later, add an airstone and a good dose of methylene blue.

• 2 months later...

whooooooo!!!!! 4 baby zebras! i didnt thing any wuld survive found them in the under gravel filter wen i was preparing for the arrival of my mystery tadpoles they r now 3-4 weeks old and living happily with there tadpole mates. :happy1: :happy1: :happy1: :happy1: