Scheeli fry log

Sophia

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one of the big fry is definitely a boy, can now see the colour on the lower fin. Nice to see them developing now, and how the dynamics in the tank change. The smaller fry get chased out of the feeding zone by the bigger ones who are in turn chased by the adults. The male who was the smaller bullied one has become the bully, he rounds them up and zaps off again. Am thinking that when I can tell the new females are definitely females, I will pass on my big boy and let the new little boy grow and that will give the female a little rest while he preparing himself for his destiny...!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So after much waiting it seems that I have 2 males and the rest are too small to decide on yet.

Today I have moved 10 fry (not including the 2 males) and the female into the garage tank where they are currently feasting on a million mozzie larvae. It's my version of Deepsound's Summer Camp 8)

The 3 boys have had a good feed of harvested big larvae and are now wondering where everyone else has gone.

It seems to have taken forever. I guess if I hadn't lost the 4 big ones earlier I would have 6 biggish ones by now.

I noticed just now that one of the fry in the bugs tank has a bit of a lyre tail instead of a paddle tail. I can only think that 'someone' took quite a symmetrical bite out of it :o

An entertaining weekend with the killies in the bugs tank.

They ate what must have been at least a thousand mosquito larvae by 9am yesterday, I could only find a few and some on the surface. By the end of the day they had picked over those as well and there was nothing left.

Yesterday I caught more daphnia from the trough and put some of those in with them this morning - this was amusing as some of the daphnia put up quite a fight in trying to escape their jaws. One killie squeezed between a rock and the glass like a rat in a drainpipe in an attempt to rootle out some bugs that had found a place to escape. The killies really have to work to catch the big ones. Adult female is not so interested in hunting her daphnia unless they go past her nose, too used to being hand fed I think :oops: Either that or she is already full