Tank size for oscars.

DennisP

Long story short, pet shop guys says 2 oscars would be fine in a 240L tank, I look on internet and get many conflicting reports.

Some say 100g minimum, some say 118L per oscar, some say 55g some say 75g.

I would get 2, and a large pleco. And that would pretty much be it.

What do you guys think, because I really didn't even consider it, but they would indeed be cool.

never kept oscars but my trusty book says (paraphrasing):

+ grow to 38cm long

+ best kept singly or in pairs in a single species tank

+ absolute minimum tank size 100x40cm for a single fish, 120x40cm for a pair

+ Totally unsexable so a group of fry should be grown on to obtain a pair

+ Everything but the gravel rendered unmovable

The ultimate aquarium, ©1995 Mary Bailey and Gina Standford, Pg 134

The book has never steered me wrong before, but given the eventual length of these fish a would say that the minimum tank size is very very conservative.

I'd agree with P44, a 5x2' footprint would be best if you want to grow the fish out to their maximum potential, could probably get away with 20" height but 2' would be better. I know people often recommend smaller, IMO a fish with the potential to get that big needs more room. Maybe a 4x2x2' would do for a pair, at the very least.

There was a monstorous oscar at Animates in Mt Eden a few weeks back, in the hex tanks where there plants were (and corals once upon a time). Was the biggest I've ever seen, at least a solid 12" by my conservative guesstimate, maybe bigger. Anyone who says they can be kept in a 55g has obviously never seen a fish like that. And as for Animates little info card on the tank with the small oscars saying "15cm and 165L".... :evil: :roll:

And again, more conflict. :-?

Tank is 121 x 45 x 40 so it would fit in there.

Being 17 years old, I guess if I bought some small ones, by the time they reach a large size I would be leaving my house (maybe) or would have a job so would be able to buy a larger tank.

At 30cm long they would have enough room to swim their length 4 times in my tank, with enough room to turn and swim upwards.

Thanks for input so far, more please!

PS, un-protected light tubes in the hood of my tank, would this cause a problem?

Being 17 years old, I guess if I bought some small ones, by the time they reach a large size I would be leaving my house (maybe) or would have a job so would be able to buy a larger tank.

Either that or you'll discover cars/girls/booze/etc and/or realise the impracticalities of flatting with a large fish tank just aren't worth it and get rid of them?

I sold my 5' set up before moving out of home and went back to a modest 3' for many years before expanding again once settled. Just think about the commitment you're making with two potentially very large, hungry and long-lived fish. Its not just the tank size you need to worry about, you'll need grunty filters and large water changes to keep up with them.