Cycling a 500 litre tank

matildanz

Now that I've managed to give away the piano, work can begin in earnest on my new tank. I still need to locate some Gel Coat to paint over the 'swimming pool' blue fibreglass and have some glass cut for lids.

I'm heading to Christchurch on Sunday and will hunt out a grunty filter - probably an FX5 for my tank :bounce: or at least I hope to after the MOTH has given the plastics the once over and grilled the salesperson to within an inch of their lives!

I understand the process of cycling but I'm wondering about a couple of things.... (and please go easy on the crazy fish/chicken lady!)

Is it possible to get a head start on building up the good bacteria in the filter? I don't know anyone with a tank that I can beg, steal of borrow any filter material from so that avenue is out, and I know once I get the tank full, it's going to be hard not to head down to the 'local' for some new fish!! :roll: but I will try.... honest!! Last thing I want is a group of belly-up clowns!

I do have another tank that is only 120ish litres so is it possible to put the water from the established tank into this one when I do the water changes - possibly topped up with clean freshwater - and use the new filter (a massive overkill I know!) until I have the new tank ready, then use this water in the new tank along with every water change I take from the established tank until all the parameters are correct for fish? Seems like a long winded way of going about it but I've no experience in cycling a big tank.

or should I use some of those newfandangled products from the fish store to kickstart the cycling process?

I shall be most humbled by any assistance/suggestions :bow::wink:

If you are running a 500L tank then just chuck some fish in and go for it, as long as you don't run a massive stocking level then the amount of waste they will produce will be very small.. What is your plan for stocking this tank? FX5 is a good choice for that sized tank I have one running on the same sized tank and it works really well.

If your 120L tank is already established and going then why not just steal some media from that to kick start it? It wont take much to start it off, also you are going to one of the best places for fish keepers and fish shops in NZ so the odds of finding someone who can help you out with some media is very high just ask I am pretty sure you will receive :)

What kind of filtration do you have on the 120L? If you've got a canister running on it then you could just transfer it onto the new tank when you move the fish across. It depends on the fish you're keeping too, if they're tough like most cichlids I wouldn't worry so much, but if they're more sensitive like discus or clown loaches then you'll want to have the new tank a bit more established.

There are plenty of ways to do a "fishless cycle", do a search here and see what you find.

the bigger the tank the less the tank seems to cycle (in my experience) I checked parameters in my tank every couple of days when I was setting it up and never got any ammonia/nitrate/nitrite spikes. I had loads of plants but it was a fishless cycle using the 'feed the tank' method.

So here is my advice (somebody feel free to shoot me down!) get the tank set up and plant it out with lots of plants. don't matter if you don't want the plants in the long run, think of them as nitrogen sponges if you want. chuck a bit of fish food (get some cheep flake) every day. after a couple of weeks you should be sweet to add some fish (not too many of course) with no risk to the fish (then just feed the fish).

enjoy!

Stocking

First and foremost....... clowns, they are my alltime favourite and the reason I've gone and thrown myself in the deepend with this tank! The 120 litre was supposed to be my 'step up' tank! :roll: Other than that, I have no idea so I'm open to suggestions! I currently have 5 Kuhlis, 7 Neons and 'Spike' my Golden Bristlenose. Ideally I'd like any additions to be fairly peaceful, non aggressive fish and probably mid to upper level inhabitants.

120 litre tank

Unfortunately the tank is sitting in the garage with a protective coating of dust, so no joy with using the filter from it and the filter in my established tank is only a wee Fluval U3 and the noodle content in it is pretty minimal!

also you are going to one of the best places for fish keepers and fish shops in NZ so the odds of finding someone who can help you out with some media is very high just ask I am pretty sure you will receive :)

Awesome to know! Any suggestions as to the best shops to head for first? I know the place up Ferry road and I've found the address of Organism (that I never knew existed) which I'll go visit and of course Redwoods - that place is dangerous!! :lol: Oh and other than Animates that's all I know of.

Adding fish slowly enough to let the filter establish is cycling.

Yes and no, guess it depends on your definition. One could say its a way of cycling a tank, but you don't get the typical spikes in parameters as you would when you kickstart it with a fishless cycle or by using some hardy fish.

So when does the "cycling" end If I add half a dozen fish to an established tank does the increase in bacteria to deal with the increased waste count as cycling?

When are you coming up?

If you want you can come and have a look at my FX% and other filtration and that might help you make up your mind.

i can also give you some "used and dirty" filter wool if you want, just bring abucket with lid and you can have as much as you want...lol.

You can have a look at a few fish as well ...or not but generally if you are stocking slowly and lightly then I agree with David ...easy as she goes and youshould have no probs especially if you use the filter/water gravel from you "set up" tank.

Let me know

Nav