Cucumber Fish

FuglyDragon

They all do ;) It is actually the exact same chemical as is in cucumbers.

In your area it is Stokell's smelt most likely.

Do a bit of searching, and particularly look in your library for NZ Freshwater Fishes: A Guide and Natural History (or similar) by R.M. McDowall :)

They most definitely can be kept. Can live for three years if they survive the first few days (notoriously good at rolling over and dying if you look at them funny at the start).

Cold water is essential. A LONG tank is good, and 5+ for lovely shoaling. A 4ft tank would be best. Would go well with some bullies in the bottom for action at different heights.

I would also be careful with lids, they can probably jump out.

Please keep us informed how you go! I haven't kept smelt yet myself, but they are a very pretty fish.

And PHOTOS 8) ;)

They all do ;) It is actually the exact same chemical as is in cucumbers.

In your area it is Stokell's smelt most likely.

Do a bit of searching, and particularly look in your library for NZ Freshwater Fishes: A Guide and Natural History (or similar) by R.M. McDowall :)

They most definitely can be kept. Can live for three years if they survive the first few days (notoriously good at rolling over and dying if you look at them funny at the start).

Cold water is essential. A LONG tank is good, and 5+ for lovely shoaling. A 4ft tank would be best. Would go well with some bullies in the bottom for action at different heights.

I would also be careful with lids, they can probably jump out.

Please keep us informed how you go! I haven't kept smelt yet myself, but they are a very pretty fish.

And PHOTOS 8) ;)

if you are starting off a 2-3ft tank should be fine just try make sure their is good flow and super cool water but also do regular water changes and keep checking for fin rot and whitespot