New planted tank. Ideas?

si_sphinx

I have been wanting to do a big planted tank but i only have a 5ft long x 2ft wide x 1.5ft high.

Fish001.jpg

I am going to turn it on its side and get a front put on it and bracing added. so it will be 5ft long x 1.5ft wide x 2ft high

I want to get some rocks and wood built up high covered in plants and some taller plants as well.

I have also found an awesome log that has a lot of potential and I want to incorperate in some how

Fish004.jpg

Fish005.jpg

Fish003.jpg

I have growing, to put in it so far:

Java moss

Xmas moss

Anubias

Java fern

Narrow leaf java fern

frilled java fern

and a few crypts

Substrate...

Ill be getting some of that nutrient rich gravel to go under the main gravel too. Can't remember the name of it now.

Lighting...

20000k 26w T5 bulbs and 2x growlight bulbs

for inhabitants...

I'm thinking a large school of tetras and either a few altum angels or a small school of discus. Having a tall tank, it should be perfect for angels or discus.

I also have GBAs and normal BNs to go in there. I have always wanted a shoal of cories so that may possibly happen as well.

So does anyone have any ideas of other tall plants etc or fish i could put in here?

Thanks

Si

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG!

its rimless! :hail:

ok so here is what you HAVE to do :o :lol:

Background - paint it black or dark blue and have a wall of ambullia along the back.

Then have tufts of rotala macrandra, rotundifolia, and ludwigia repens and glandulosa - Those are red plants.

If you want a lighter red - try red pine.

For light green - hygro. polysperma. and for something like a sword plant get hygro. corymbosa stricta - I can even send you cuttings if you handle the postage side of things. you cannot forget stargrass - but then keep the tank at 26C.

Then you need texture at the front - try pygmy chain sword - any variety. microfolia will look out of proportion in a tank that is shallow.

That piece of driftwood is amazing, and will look great nestled in the plants.

Fill the tank all the way to the top and get a surface skimmer attachment for any cannister filter that you have, and if it's possible suspend lighting over the tank, and have nothing touching the rim.

It WILL look epic. Those are the exact dimensions of a tank that I have planned in the future, only I want mine to be a tad wider.

Most important thing - let your plants grow and mature, replant cuttings as and when you can for the first 4 months at least.

If you are bracing the top;use a cross brace it like this - http://www.austinglass.com.au/aquariums.html

Do not let them ruin your tank by putting braces on top of the rim, because then you will have to have the water level lower than the rim to allow for adequate surface agitation for gas exchange.

I can take some pics of how my tank is - if that helps; but bear in mind it was machine built not hand built.

The cross braces will take a few days to fix and then cure, but are well worth it in the long run.

best I could do at this time of the night. i put the lights on and the cardinals looked all wonky. they had turned their lights out hahah :lol:

Braces under the top of the tank-

DSC02577Small.jpg

central brace -

DSC02578Small.jpg

central brace underwater-

DSC02579Small.jpg

And the reason you fill it up all the way -

DSC02523Small.jpg

central brace stops any water movement at the surface on the LHS. The RHS clearly has a lot of water movement, just like a wavemaker.

that looks cool. that is the look i am going for. bright green background with bright fish in front.

lol - the bright fish in front is dependent on whether they are fighting or not. Otherwise they hide out. Discus really don't like the T5HO lights so I am now allowing the tiger lotus to put its leaves to the surface to give some shadier areas in the tank.. The tank won't look so tidy but the fish will be happier :D

I have been wanting to do a big planted tank but i only have a 5ft long x 2ft wide x 1.5ft high.

I am going to turn it on its side and get a front put on it and bracing added. so it will be 5ft long x 1.5ft wide x 2ft high

:-?

Sounds like a downgrade to me, less floor area, more depth to try and light...

:-?

Sounds like a downgrade to me, less floor area, more depth to try and light...

Yes i thought this too. But unless i can find the floor space in my house then it has to be taller than it is wide unfortunatly. And i also have the perfect stand for it if its on its side. :D

:o Oh. I only just read that!

It is quite hard to do a planted tank that is 2ft high - mainly because the lights will be your primary limitation.

The whole beauty of the tank was the depth perception - so if you can find the space in the house to have the tank wider than it is high I wouldn't change its current dimensions.

now im real confused! s:

braces on ready for water and substrate.

don't worry p44 its still rimless

cheers for the bit of wood si

lol i had to cut it down a lil to fit it in

don't worry p44 its still rimless

cheers for the bit of wood si

lol i had to cut it down a lil to fit it in