Would my firebellied newts be ok outside?

Gatito

I have a big exo terra terrarium for the newts, 61cm x 45cm and 45cm high. We're moving and i'm trying to figure out if I want to take the big terrarium with me or flick it off and get a smaller one. Would Mr Newt be happy outside or would it get TOO cold? Would be ok in summer so long as he doesn't get too warm, but i'm not sure about the colder months.

I have heard it argued that firebellied newts could survive and reproduce in (parts of) the wild in NZ.

Just make sure any cages outside are doubly secure as anything inside. We don't need any more exotics establishing here.

The terrarium sizes you give don't sound particularly big. Would downsizing that terrarium really achieve much saved space, or just require more maintenance? Also, if they are not fully grown yet, you might want to consider adult size vs terrarium size.

I have heard it argued that firebellied newts could survive and reproduce in (parts of) the wild in NZ.

Just make sure any cages outside are doubly secure as anything inside. We don't need any more exotics establishing here.

The terrarium sizes you give don't sound particularly big. Would downsizing that terrarium really achieve much saved space, or just require more maintenance? Also, if they are not fully grown yet, you might want to consider adult size vs terrarium size.

It's an exo-terra, very secure unless someone were to come onto the property and tamper with it. And my newt is about 5cm and won't get over about 10cm, so the terrarium is massive for him. When he reaches adult size i'll want to give him something with a deeper water body though, as the exo terra is only watertight up to about 12cm deep.

Will be fine outside but keep out of direct sunlight. Mine have been outside for 3 years with no problems. They are on a verandah with roof.

Thanks - yeah i was wondering where i could keep them outside, out of the sun and out of the rain (haven't seen the backyard at our new place yet). The exo terra would start losing water once it filled up to the doors, so wouldn't flood more than i let it with placement of rockwork, driftwood etc, but best to avoid mini-natural disasters altogether IMO :lol: Mr Newt enjoys a bit of a shower but rapids aren't really his thing - he doesn't own an inner tube for starters! And the lid of the terrarium is mesh so would make quick work of rusting that out.

Worst case scenario he can stay inside, at least til i sort out suitable shelter. Thanks for answering my question!!!