What Do I feed my Eels?

DennisP

So I found some Half banded Spiny Eels in the weekend (2)

And have tried to feed them 3 times. Twice with bloodworms and once with an earthworm.

First time they were still getting acclimatized so Its not suprise they didn't eat, Second time (early today) I held some frozen bloodworms to their face and they had a little poke at it but didn't eat any.

I threw in a live earthworm as well a couple of minutes ago to see their reaction to live food and one of them bit it but it was too large to swallow.

What do I feed them, how often do they get feed and how do I ween them onto frozen food?

Mine eat frozen bloodworms from hand, Just be patient with them it will take them a little time to adjust to the feeding, they wont stave after a few days, and are best fed every other day anyway.

Ask the LFS where you got them what they had been feeding them on, most if not all spiny eels are wild caught with a barbless fish hook, they've travelled a long way and have so much to get used to.

Make sure there are plenty of places to hide and dig so they are comfortable out of feeding times, it wont take them long to recognise you and get used to their feeding times and types of food. Mine will take brine shrimp if they have to, but much prefer the blood worms over anything else, Iggy my fire eel has a taste for discus tucker. Once under way they can grow quite quickly so be sure you have plenty of tank space.

HTH

I had a thought, My internet is acting odd right now or Id have told you sooner.

When I first got my Zebra spiny, the only way I got him to eat at first was by burying the bloodworms, they use those 3 prong things on the end of their nose to feel out creatures living in the substrate, just a thought if your still having trouble, once they learn what the food looks and smells like they wont worry where it comes in from.

I was going to make this exact thread until I saw it was already made xD

I got a half-banded spiny eel day before yesterday and the lady i bought it from said she only fed it fish flakes, it is OK to continue doing this or do i need to get worms, etc?

I'd be pretty sceptical of any claim of a spiny eel eating prepared foods, unless you've seen it don't believe it. Try feed it when the lights go out, then as it gets more confidence try feeding during the day.

Okay, thanks!

Also one more question, would he be OK in a tank with 4 Cichlids? Or would they bite at him and generally give him a rough time?

would he be OK in a tank with 4 Cichlids?

Cichlids (pronounced /ˈsɪklɨd/) are fishes from the family Cichlidae in the order Perciformes. Cichlids are members of a group known as the Labroidei alongside the wrasses Labridae, damselfish Pomacentridae, and surfperches Embiotocidae. The family Cichlidae is both large and diverse. There are at least 1,300 scientifically described species, making it one of the largest vertebrate families. Numerous new species are discovered annually, and many species remain undescribed. The actual number of species is therefore unknown, with estimates varying between 1,300 and 3,000. Cichlids span a wide range of body sizes, from species as small as 2.5 centimeters (1 in) in length (e.g., female Neolamprologus multifasciatus) to much larger species approaching 1 meters (3 ft) in length (e.g. Boulengerochromis and Cichla). As a group, cichlids exhibit a similar diversity of body shapes, ranging from strongly laterally compressed species (such as Altolamprologus, Pterophyllum, and Symphysodon) to species that are cylindrical and highly elongate (such as Julidochromis, Teleogramma, Teleocichla, Crenicichla, and Gobiocichla).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cichlid

You'll have to be a little more specific than "cichlids".. ;)

HIJACKING MY THREAD BACK!

I really need help. I've been feeding bloodworms, small worms and insects I tried discuss pellets and nothing.

Yesterday one died so If the other doesn't start eating soon it'll probably go the same way... :cry:

just a thought 12days is probably not a long enough time to starve a fish perhaps it died from other causes have you tested your water etc it could also be these other factors making them not eat

I guess it depends whether they were eating in the store. Which I foolishly forgot to ask if they were eating. Never had any problems with fish not eating before.

There is a black mass in the stomach of the remaining Eel, but exactly sure what that means though.

Whats the easiest way to get the white worms?

TradeMe

Might not have time to wait.

they eat fish LIVE guppy, swords anything small that dosent move to fast

Thought about the option, the eel is only small still so a grown guppy will be too big. Would have to be fry.

If anyone wants to give me some I will be more than happy to accept. :lol: