What are the most common malawi cichlids?

trophy_malaw

It depends on how you hold your tongue as to what people will want on any given day, it changes all the time. But electric yellows and demasoni would be ones that seem to be quite popular most of the time, are you thinking of getting some malawis?

If I were cheeky I'd say hybrids are most common. :wink:

I agree with Ryan and your suggestions with E yellows and Dems.

They are great starter fish and don't require big tanks( big by cichlid standards).

But there does seem to be a cycle of popularity with Africans and this can be based on what is new and Available.

For instance it was only three yrs ago Kadango's and fryeri were easily found and a Red Empresses were hard to find and expensive- same with eyebiters, and now they are readily available and cheap because of people getting out and breeding them.

Being able to supply young 4-5cm males for peoples display tanks as opposed 2cm fry is something I think is good.

Any 'pure' strain of peacocks is always a good fish to have.

I would say if someone gets/got a group of these which are in the shops fort $50 each and breeds them then they will recoup their money no probs. This was case of Red empress

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=1235

good quality fish, especially nice yellows will always be popular.

as for the taiwan reefs, personally i don't see the point as they are too similar to the empress & the empress being are more attractive fish IMO. they are kinda the "not quite so hot cousin of the hottie down the road" if you get what i mean. :lol: their only appeal to me is that they are rare but i got over that pretty quick, especially when i looked at my 15cm empress male. :)

i would have said that the most sought after africans for beginners would something like yellows, fryeri, peacocks then demansoni. Sought after malawis for experienced keepers would not be malawis, more so tangs like tropheus & altos. just how i see it.