Help ID this fish

oscnz

nice big girl - should produce a large lot of fry. I have only seen huge females at Phil Collis' house. Yes, a male guppy will breed with any female he can get near :D

have you been to davids recently ? if you have he has male that are massive the biggist ive ever seen and they are really nice coloured and the tailes are huge

I have heard that when you stick a male with a fish that is carrying sperm from previous matings they will use the fresh sperm anyway..

Oscnz I have a few spare male gold guppies here can give you one at the meeting if you want one..

Sounds like a plan :bounce:

I have heard that when you stick a male with a fish that is carrying sperm from previous matings they will use the fresh sperm anyway..

Its only after giving birth that a female can take on new packets from other males, or if she is virgined, until then she holds the packets from the male that fertilized the current batch of young growing inside her, the males can sense this and are often very aggressive pursuers after a female has dropped. To my knowledge the female has no control over whether she accepts new packets or older packets, its just simple survival.

Cheers

From the picture you can tell she is definitely pregnant or "gravid", if they have been in the same vicinity as any male guppy they usually are already "packet-ed", which basically means that they have been fertilized and will continue to drop fry every 4-6 weeks.

See that dark spot by her anal fin? that will grow and grow, until she looks like she will burst. That dark patch is actually all the little eyes of the fry growing inside her, clustered together in one spot. With any livebearer i use the same formula, plenty of high quality food (be careful not to over feed) and plenty of small regular water changes, plant your tanks out and watch the family grow. :D

Cheers

Well if your ever down wellington ways, I'll be happy to give you a big handful of plants. I find plenty of plants in the tanks also help stabilize and regulate a healthy and natural environment. Mops are usually used for egg scatterers or non-annual killifish but i guess you could have it setup to simulate plants.