A bit about me

Rob

Like Caryl I have only recently realised that I haven't put anything into the welcome section as it didn't exist when I first joined up.

So here goes (some of it may sound familiar as it was posted in one of the other forums ages ago, but I've updated some of the information).

I feel compelled to preface this message with something along the lines of "Hi, my name's Rob and I'm a fish-a-holic" - I think I'm probably in good company here though, with like minded people.

The obsession began for me when I was helping my sister shift (about 7 or 8 years ago). One of her flatmates had a small 18" tank crammed with guppies. I gave my sister (one of these competent DIY'ers, as opposed to my incompetent DIY'ing) some sheet glass that I had lying around and asked her to "Make me a fish tank for Christmas". Since then the number of tanks has grown, initially because there wasn't enough room in one tank for all the fish I wanted to keep and also one tank ment I was restricted to one set of water conditions. The second round of expansion was when I became more interested in breeding and raising fish (partly for the challenge, partly for monetary gain).

Flatmates saying 'get more tanks Rob' didn't assist in trying to curb the addiction.

I currently have 13 tanks, ranging in size from 4' long down to 10" long. There is also an attempt at a White Cloud breeding scheme in a series of plastic bins out on the veranda (which is a state of neglect at the moment, which I feel a bit guilty about) - no wonder I'm in no great hurry to shift any time soon.

There are four, what I call, display tanks:

4' Catfish and Rainbow tank

(has an assortment of catfish - synos, clown plecos, pictus cats, porthole cats and a couple of types of talking cats; the rainbows include Boesmani, Lacustris, Madagascan, Lake Tabera and a couple of others that I'm not 100% sure on the ID).

3' Discus tank

(it has 2 discus in it so I call it the discus tank but there are other things in there too: a few tetras - Cochu blue, Black phantom, Rosy and yellow congo, Neon dwarf rainbows, Marbled hatchets, a pair of Golden eye dwarf cichlids, dwarf flag cichlids and a hodge-podge of cory's)

3' Dwarf tank

(well, the tank itself isn't dwarf but the fish in there are all of smaller types, the largest fish in there are Honey gouramis and chocolate gouramis, there are also Dwarf rasboras, Emerald Eye rasboras, pygmy cory's, silver hatchets, indian hatchets, Hara hara cats and spotted scooters)

2.5' Livebearer tank

(mainly guppies, with some Berlin swordtails, hawaiian variatus platys, blue maculatus platys - I don't generally like Orange or bright red fish so hence none of the common sword tail or platy types make it into the tank; there are also some Celebes rainbows and Caudimaculatus cory's in that tank as well).

As for the breeding side of things, I like to try and breed the fish that I like to have in my display tanks, yes a feel a sense of achievment when I say that I've officially breed 19 different species, but I'm not going to run out and buy a pair of convict cichlids just to get another breeding point - there are still far too many fish already swimming around in my tanks that I want to breed.

At the moment I have 4 tanks that I am trying to breed fish in, one has a pair of twig cats (a recent purchase), with some female Boesmani rainbows conditioning in the same tank. Another breeding tank has a group of Trilineatus cory's (usually sold as Julii corys) I'm trying to encourage to do their thing. The third breeding tank has a pair of Furcatus rainbows (they went straigth into the breeding tank after buying them as I've had some bad luck with them before)and finally a tank with three Brazilian butterfly plecos and a pair of clown plecos.

For those who have been keeping track of the number of tanks, the total is only up to eight so far what about the other 5 to take me up to my total of 13? Two are permanently used for growing on the fry from the live bearer display tank and also breeding and raising ancistrus (since the livebearers don't bother the ancistrus and vice-versa), one partitioned tank that is currently being used to grow own dwarf flag cichlid and nannacara fry, one small tank is a species tank for a threesome of dwarf puffers (think I've got an ID for them - if I'm right they only grow to 1" long), and finally an old battery jar (about 1' cube) used for growing aponogeton seedlings and growing on some whiptail pleco fry.

I'm keen on growing aquatic plants providing it doesn't require too much effort on my part - so three of the four display tanks have either laterite or potting mix/commercial compost below the gravel substrate, I haven't gone to the expense/effort of setting up a CO2 system, yes I do use liquid fertiliser but not as often as I really should, occasionally fertiliser tabs are inserted near the roots of some the sword plants (mainly when it looks like they're slowing down a bit).

I haven't gone overboard with lighting (mainly because I don't want the powerbill to be too high) just your standard fluoros, twin tube fittings for 3 of the 4 display tanks (Livebearers only have a single, but the crypts are doing well since they don't require too high a light level).

Overall I'm happy with how most of the display tanks look (plantwise), look reasonably lush, I am making some money by selling plant bits and pieces but am not having to trim back the triphids on a 3 daily basis. Still have a battle with black algae in one tank but hopefully a combination of removing the worst affected leaves and more siamese algae eaters will get it under control.

I am also keen on raising live food for my fish, I keep cultures of: microworms, grindal worms, white worms, earth worms, confused flour beetles, daphnia, wingless fruitfly and brine shrimp (this is not just hatching the eggs, but growing them on to adulthood). If recently started culturing wax moths and meal worms - they're still in the getting up to speed phase (can't feed these out yet as there haven't been any adults yet to start the cycle). I also occasionally collect live food for the fish: mainly aphids, water boatmen and fresh water shrimp, occasionally tubifex and blood worms.

I also enjoy flicking through aquarium books and drooling at the possibilities (buying the three Baensch aquarium atlases was one of the best things I've done and I'd thoroughly recommend them to everyone). I also like a challenge such as trying to ID mystery fish - the most recent example is the Glowlight Danios that are currently available in NZ, with some internet sifting and an email to Sweden we now know they are Danio choprae.

At the moment my living situation and employment future doesn't allow me to have more tanks. At some stage I would really like to set up a large (5-6') mini-reef system ($$$ :o ) and also just generally have larger display tanks - we shall have to wait and see what happens.

Brief personal stuff about me? Currently 28, have recently finished my PhD (managed to survive the oral exam so it's all official, should graduate in October) and now employed (temporarily) at the University of Waikato and trying to sort out a post-doc. No the PhD wasn't in anything even remotely fish related. I'm involved with the local Waikato club, currently as secretary, treasurer and newsletter editor(mental note to self - must learn to say NO), I've also wound up on the FNZAS fish committee and also plant committee (though these don't involve as much of a time committment as they club duties).

:) WOW Rob so nice to meet you. I stand (sit) in awe at your achievement in the tanks. I soooo identify with the "Hi I am fish-o-holic" :D for last Friday I spent some time in the Christchurch stores and wanted soooooo many fish. I settled for the flying foxes (2) and some neons. One of the flying foxes flew right out of the tank overnight and dehydrated before I found him (so inconsiderate of him). He had flown out of the corner (one inch) and between the tank cover and gap 1/2 inch. Guess I will have to invent some corner covers for I will be returning to christchurch to get anoter three for like you I have that algae in one tank - the remaining fox is doing great job. Whoops got carried away I just wanted to say great hearing about you and your addiction :wink:

Hi everyone,

Great piece Rob, bet the old power bill is a bit staggering :)

Hey Goldie,

You say,

Whoops got carried away I just wanted to say

I think we might just have a page or two empty right here where you can tell us a bit more about your tanks and fish :)

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewto ... sc&start=0

Bill.

You need to be sensible with waterboatmen. Only feed them to larger predatory fish (rainbows love them and it's great to watch). Yes, they probably would eat fish eggs given the chance, they'll also eat small fish given the chance (waterboatment and back swimmers being predators). I haven't had any problems - but then they don't live long in the tank I feed them to.

• 8 years later...