Found a 1400L tank today!

Josh_S

Was driving down the road in auckland today and to my shock saw a tank sitting on the grass verge for sale only $200. It measures 1800 x 900 x 900. And came with steel stand, sump and pump!

So now have to get the bloody thing inside! and work out what goes in it. i just hope my floor will hold up.

What should go in this beast?

Yeah too thin for sure enter 1800 and 900 with 12mm glass in here and see what comes out..

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/index.php?PG=glass3

And an article explaining the number it pops out..

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/index.php?PG=glass1

Just for comparison I had a 4ft tank that was 3ft high and made from 15mm glass which is probably what this should have been made of minimum..

Read the article and use the calculator :)

To help you out..

"The variability of the strength of glass due to limitations of the manufacturing process means a suitable safety factor must be used when calculating glass thickness. The factor commonly used is 3.8. While not a perfect guarantee, it will remove all risk bar that of damaged or very poor quality glass. The main damage that will cause failures is scratches and chips. Also a point load on the glass surface will cause it to fail. For this reason a soft packer like polystyrene is used under aquariums to stop the point loading of dirt and grit."

So you are aiming for 3.8 which would be around 5-600 high.. However I just worked out the safety factor of my 5x2x2 (in 10mm which is very standard for a tank this size) and it is only 2.5 so not ideal either, so (without knowing enough about these things I am sure Barrie will fill you in) I would aim for over 2. Just bear in mind that the lower your safety factor the more likely it is that there will be 12mm daggers flying through your house ready to destroy anything or anyone in their path if it lets go :) I think it was Jimr who had a big tank let go in his fishroom and it threw glass across the room and through other tanks on the other side.

It seems to be braced well. it has bracing round the top and bottom perimeters. and cross braces at each end and in the middle. the waterline is at the top of the overflows about 50mm from top of the tank.

apparently it never leaked and was the sellers grandson who now owns a fish breeding business in Oz.

For $200 i dont mind putting a bit of work in to make sure it doesnt go capput

Thanks Matto, my eyes nearly popped out when i saw it!

I tried entering 700mm high and got a rating of 2.3ish. does the fact that the panel size is so big determine the safety or does the water level. or is it a bit of both? (dont know if this makes sense :-? )

I'll have to build a hood to hide all the empty space up top :(

It is pretty much the height as the outwards pressure increases alot with height and that is what is likely to cause the glass to flex height wise, as we all know glass doesn't flex very well..

I think you could do a really wicked tank that has like plants and stuff out of the water at the top I think it would look really cool.

I think you could do a really wicked tank that has like plants and stuff out of the water at the top I think it would look really cool.

Yes! sounds good never done a full on planted tank, very tempting indeed. Some big bits of wood sticking out would look sweat.

Im addicted to my malawis though how can i incorporate them i wonder? Or some fronts may like a take this size. Too many options and ALOT to learn :o

If I could fill it to the top I would be tempted to do a big malawi hap tank.. 10 giraffes 10 livingstonii 10 polystigs 10 electra 10 dolphins 10 empresses 10 kadangos 10 d. comps a whole heap of the big boys :) But if you weren't going to fill it then something like what phoenix suggested would look alot better because you wont have a big ugly wide open space at the top..