Easiest way to nab some eels?

Gatito

I'd like to get my hands on 3-4 eels for a pond (has filter & a waterfall at one end, plants, planning to pop some ceramic tunnels in there for hiding spots). I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or could help?

We have a pretty good creek for finding them on another property, but setting traps and going back the next morning would consume more time than i have spare at the moment. If anyone can help please Pm me or reply here.

Chances are they'll just climb out and 'run' away after you've gotten them.

Oh yeah, that would be pretty typical of them. If prior experience is any indication, so long as they have good water quality, food source and nice hiding places, they should be content to stay. Could be a problem in summer when it gets warmer, they may go to land hunting for a colder water body, but most of the pond is in the shade, so i think it would stay cold enough for them.

chuck some ox heart in the water and use a large net . i would only go for small ones for a pond they are mean escape artists as bdspider said you would want some kind of over hanging ledge on the lip of the pond to avoid escape

Cut the barb off a hook and leave some meat out for a while until it really stinks. use a handline and have a little patience. We used to just pop the baited hook in the middle of the stream so we could see it, sit a bit farther up the bank and wait. in no time (if the stream has them) they'd be around the smelly meat. Or if you dont want to hook them - if someone has an eel trap - chuck the smelly meat in there and take a packed lunch - rather than leaving overnight.

Thanks guys, yeah we used to use a hook and line when we were kids, i think i'd rather buy a net trap for them. So looks like i'll be doing that and spending the day out there. Will have fingers crossed for little guys, would love to have biggies to hand feed but in a smaller volume like a pond the smaller they are the better for them. Thanks all of you for the input, i'll update once i manage to find time to get out and go eeling!!!

Over night is the ticket dude, especially if you are intending on netting them. I'm not 100% but I think the smelly meat is a bit of a myth. I've been catching and eating eels for years and I've used everything from dog food to cheese but never rotten meat. I've been successful on most occasions. In my experience, if they are there, they will find the bait, especially at night!

One thing to try, attract the eels using whatever you think and when you can see them.....

Get some pantyhose, the longer the better, and put a tablespoon or two of dog food/cat food in the foot. When you see an eel cruising around pop it in the water near it and he'll come have a look-see. When he sucks up the stocking his tiny backwards teeth make it hard for him to let go and impossible if you are pulling on the stocking. All you gotta do is give the stocking a good yank and flick him up onto the bank. And of course grab him quick before he makes a break for the water!

Yeah, eels are totally misunderstood. While they do like to congregate around carcasses etc, they are a normal fish and do best in clean, healthy water.

Trapping for any native fish, I wouldn't bother using any sort of bait. They are just curious (and/or stupid....I didn't say that!)

Eels do look awesome cruising gently along at night!!

Seriously, overestimate escape-proofing your tank. Wide tape around the edges of the lids to tape everything down. They can get out of the tiniest crack.

Thanks for your input guys!

I'm looking into bribing some mates to go hunting for me. I don't want to hook them so it'll be a net catch most likely. They're going into a pond with lot's of hiding spots for security but a nice grunty filter - i just hope they don't decide to scale the rocky side or slither up the waterfall (very agile!).

Hoping to set a routine for them and eventually get them hand-feeding :D