discus sick - what med?

henward

isolated a discus,

eats still, and was eating heaps!

but slowly but surely i notcied it was getting skinnier. its the only one wti the issues.

fins dont flare up to display as much, its kinda just floating around swimming slowly.

not as active.

i believei t may be an internal parasite.

what should i treat it with?

tahnks

just got prazidinazole (spelling to be corrected) lol

5ml per 80L of water.

is this right?

Can i use Melafix in conjunction to reduce stress and just a safety margin.

also do i need to put salt, or should i put some salt?

any more details?

says that dose it once only should be ok in 1 week.

or dose it, then 3 days, 25% water change and redose.

my hospital is 200 litres.

so thats 12.5ml to the tank.

put a lil more?

25% after 3 days and FULL dose again? or just partial dose?

if you're sure its internal parasites, then what you're doing is fine.

if it isn't internal parasites - Treat with Furan2 in a separate tank (small tank), temp at 32 with 50% water changes daily, replacing the amount of furan needed everyday.

there are no visible problems wtih it.

no blemishes, fungus, no wounds.

its getting skinnier despite eating mega loads!

like the belly gets fat, then thins quickly.

i believe its worms.

am i wrong? let me know before 530 lol so i can exchange medicine:D

it seems to not get the nutrients its supposed to be getting with all the food it gets

Aviverm is a 24% solution of Levamisole hydrochloride. In practical terms the manufacturer says that it contains 200 - 300 grams per litre of levamisole (have a look here if you want to see for yourself: http://www.ermanz.govt.nz/hs/transfer/vetmeds-list.html)

When I work this out, I get 200-300mg per millilitre of Aviverm solution. At a dose of 2mg per litre of tank water (the most common accepted dose) this is 1ml per 100L of tank water (rounding up, in other words assuming the medication is a minimum of 200mg/ml, so the maximum dose would be 2.5mg/L).

That is about 0.1ml per 10 litres of tank water so for an 80 litre tank, you would add 0.8mls of Aviverm. The dose you were using would have probably been safe but it is more than 5 times the recommended dose. The problem with giving such a high dose is that if you ever developed a resistance, you might need to double or triple the dose to effectively minimise the worm burden and if the dose is already high, you would have a narrower margin of safety.

If I were you, I would treat with praziquantel and levamisole at the same time and if you don't see any improvement in two weeks, do a repeat dose. If still no improvement in two weeks from then, I would consider treating for protozoa (usually with metronidazole which requires a veterinary consult).

Prazi and levam will not harm your filter and metro will only kill some anaerobic populations. If you want to protect your biological anaerobic filtration from antimicrobials, take the fish out and treat in a hospital tank for three days during the treatment.

Ordinarily you wouldn't re-dose or double dose unless you were certain that the worm burden was high or that you confirmed drug resistant worms. The problem is, without testing, you can't really be sure what the problem is in the first place so the treatment was just a guess.

That said, if the fish has not improved and the signs strongly point to parasites, it might be worthwhile to repeat the dose - it certainly will not harm the fish (deaths from deworming only really occur with exceedingly large doses or if there has been a massive die off of worms causing systemic toxicity in the fish's body - it is very uncommon to see really heavy worm loads though).

the fish is not noticeably using both gills. and slightly mroe active

but seems like its still unwell.

i havent seen it eat but i see its stomach shrinking and enlarging after feeds so assume so.

but still not swimming around as much and 45 degree angle hanging around.

is there such a thing as too far gone?

that there is no saving it?

if so, is it more humane to put it down?