sponge filter... im weary but everyone uses them

henward

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com ... ation.html

the link, i see many many breeders use only this.

in all their tanks.

wow, i think to myself, do they work?

any feedback?

to calm my weariness? lol

its for my discus breeding tank.

should i use this and a inernal? or just a couple of this?

is there really enough surface for bio load bacteria to grow?

or do i have to do a 100% water change a day wtih these filters?

What's so tiring about them?

They work pretty well, lots of surface area, you can't put much flow through them though so they don't really work that great for anything but a small or low load tank. The major advantage for breeders is they don't suck up fry. So running a sponge filter+an internal would defeat the purpose of them. Putting a sponge on the intake of an internal filter would work or running them with a powerhead. But then they clog up very quickly, not a problem if you clean them daily.

what sort of bio filtration do theyd o?

do they need like 100% water change daily to actualy work?

say a pair of discus - i have seen them in breeders tanks heaps, but how much water change do you need to do.

and feeding parents, they need to eat a reasonable amount to sustain energy and nutrients to lay, fertilise and care for babies.

feedback?

say, breeders here of discus, how many % wc on your tanks with pairs.

Benefits:

-they won't suck up fry;

-the fry can nibble on microorganisms growing on the sponge;

-they won't blow the fry out of the water with too much flow;

-they are quick and easy to cycle/seed by running them in a mature tank for a couple of days;

-they are cheap to buy and cheap to run (you can run a heap of them on one airpump);

-they have good surface area for their size.

Disadvantages:

-they have passive flow (only as much as the air going into it);

-they are low flow so are not that great for larger tanks (unless you have several running at a time);

-they are fairly large and unsightly;

-they clog up easily if there is lots of gross detritus floating around (thus reducing flow and surface area).

Yeah I use them they are great, I have even had success with running them in bigger tanks with messy fish, obviously they don't pick up as much crud as a power filter or even box filter would but they do work well.. If you are a real cheap ass they are actually really easy to make too..

lol

14 to 18 a pop for the big ones, not worth the hassle for me:D

that doesnt make me NOT a cheap asss though lol

im some respects i am!

practically cheap though:D pragmatic is the key word lol

looks like im gonna get some, very good and practical solution - i dont have room or wanna get mroe powe canisters, and if its not neccesary, then they are a life saver!

ill inoculate the sponge in my mature tank set ups, perhaps put the clogged filter wool over it to implant some bacters

lol

14 to 18 a pop for the big ones, not worth the hassle for me:D

that doesnt make me NOT a cheap asss though lol

im some respects i am!

practically cheap though:D pragmatic is the key word lol

looks like im gonna get some, very good and practical solution - i dont have room or wanna get mroe powe canisters, and if its not neccesary, then they are a life saver!

ill inoculate the sponge in my mature tank set ups, perhaps put the clogged filter wool over it to implant some bacters

Good decision, if you went to see a discus breeder at their house, one that has at least 30 tanks,

then imagine the cost and powerbill of running that many canisters...

Or worse still, the risk of running that many tanks with $$$ of discus on 1 or a few sumps...

I love sponge filters :)

yeah, i heard many good things about it also from breeders themselves. reviews also.

the bio load is only 2 adult discus for breeding.

the tank will also have a daily water change of at least 30% maybe more to ensure top water qual.

thanks for the feedback guys