friendly fish

bamweevil

not sure if i put this in the rigth place, I was wondering if there were tropical fish which are as friendly as goldfish ie acknowledge you when u enter a room or go near the tank, and feed out of your hand. I know discus and oscar are very friendly but are there any smaller fish which behaviour is silmilar i enjoy interacting with my fish even if they just think im a walking can of fish food. But after seeing so many beautiful tropicals on this site are thinking of trying a tank of tropicals.

marine are very beautiful but thougth they migth be abit to technical for me. i do love catfish thougth have 3 plecs with my goldfish so a tropical tank with lots of catfish sounds nice. i wonder if my golden algae eaters could join them.

p.s the goldfish tank is heated for the plecs

thanks for the ideas

angels are lovely fish remeber them from childhood my mother and brother had them. I took a bit longer to catch the fish bug having just got my first real tank this year after my daugther past on goldfish she had for mice. now my mums back into fish after large break from them too so this fish keeping bug once ya got it stays in the system oh well i must be addict in progress. Now just have two task getting the house painted then im allow to have another tank other half doesnt want to shift to many tanks about. secoundly convince daugther she does really want the new room with the concrete floor which i think would be a great room for my fish.

so far on my list are angels, hoplo catfish and knowing me that cute little fish that just says buy me in the shop

• 1 month later...

I once heard it summed up something like this, (although the were actually talking about a cat)

according to the mind of a guppy, anything in the world can be classified into four categorys.

Thing you can:

A) Mate with

B) Eat

C) Run away from

And if it doesent fit into the first three categories then

D)It is a Rock

Angels are very friendly. when I enter the room they will try to get as close to me as possable (follow me around the tank) I know the only reason they do this is because they want food in thier belly but It's still pretty cool.

They are very easy to take care of also. If you do decide to buy angels make sure you get small ones. When they grow from a small size they get along better with other smaller fish in the tank ie. tetras and guppies.

I have had my krib eat out of my hand. Not that I would call the way it does it friendly, but they are at least capable of it. About half of my fish recognise when I am in the room and am about to feed them. The other half just notice the first lot and come out. Oddly enough the krib will be right against the glass the moment I walk in the room, but the glass catfish wait until I am in front of the tank before coming out. My skunk loach also comes out the moment I walk in the room, but I think it just follows the kribensis around (that pair have a disturbing relationship).

Experimentation has revealed that my Kribensis will come out of the water for food. I don't know how far it will go, that will require further tests.

The food in this case was frozen bloodworms, but it has even come out for flake. It's a greedy fish.

I experemented with some of my tanks last night and found that if I just held my fingers in the water and kept still, the baby angels, guppys(of course) Siamese fighters, and juvenile Gouramis (blue dwarf, golden, pearl and opanline) would all peck at my fingers. I expected the same from the Golden barbs, but they gave me a wide berth, even though I held my fingers there for a while(until i got bored)

I expected the same from the Golden barbs, but they gave me a wide berth, even though I held my fingers there for a while(until i got bored)

Which brings us to the obvious conclusion, Golden barbs have a longer attention span than you do. :lol: hehehehe