ideas for keeping discus?

s3xtcy

Hey all, ive taken quite a liking to Discus fish recently, and just want some ideas / tips / reccommendations on how to keep them, food, filtration, w/c frequency, tank size, substrate, lighting, heating, ph, hardness, plants, tankmates, etc

I have read the thread that was recently posted however im after some slightly more specific answers :)

I know most of the info can be found on the net but there seem to be alot of variance out there, is there anyone who has it all tried and true?

Thanks and if this is in the wrong place please move it :) cheers

I've kept discus for about 2 years now.

And umm.... Sometimes they can be frustrating because they sometimes fight for no reason if they're unhappy.

I do 10-20% water change every Saturday or Sunday.

Just keep an eye on them to make sure nothing is wrong. Like everyone is getting enough food, and no one is getting excessively picked on.

50 litres of water per discus minimum. Temp 28-30 degrees celcius. Minimum of 4 to spread the aggression but I'd recommend at least 6. Frequent water changes, I'd recommend a minimum of two a week. For beginners its better to get them at at least 8cm in size. The smaller the more water changes, anything from 100% water change daily, and also they are more susceptible to disease etc. Good quality food. Bare bottom tank is easier to raise the smaller ones, older ones are fine in a planted tank.

I'd recommend a first aid kit for fish of harder to get meds as well. As dennisawesome says keep an eye on them, make sure they all get enough food. IME if one is being excessively picked on and decides to go off and sulk and not eat, its very very hard, if not impossible to get them to start again.

Zayne, where did you get your discus from please. I see you are in Upper Hutt, I am in Wellington. Did you have to order them or have you found somewhere that has discus regularly?

i brought them off a person in upper hutt that has a breeding pair but i also know a person in the hutt selling some cheap too.

how many are you after? any certain type?

pm me and i will see what i can do for you.