Fry survival

HBLiquidPulse

strip & put in a separate tank is the only way to get most/all of them to survive. i have a 60L fry tank that i use for this.

when i have larger fry or juvies & i strip a new batch of fry that are alot smaller i put them into a breeding net for a few weeks until they grow a bit & are big enough to be with teh large juvies.

what africans are you keeping?

If you have tons of rocks then you can get some fry survive depending on species and tank mates.

Also bear in mind sometimes survival of fry in mixed tanks may be undesirable due to the production of hybrids, but that entirely depends on your mix and what you want to get out of them..

I have Electric yellows, Demasoni, Dolphin cichlids, Lionheads, Kenyi, Various peacocks, Redtop travassy?, Various zebras. Im not too concerned about hybridization as I intend to keep it as a mixed tank. If I passed fish born into this tank onto other people I would of course inform them of their unknown lineage. It has moderate caving and driftwood. Has anyone had sucess with particular plants or structures? :bounce:

yep. ive had success with yellows, dems and even synos in the tank.

loads of caves, hiding spaces and ground cover; plants work really well too - large bits of java fern make great hiding spots.

keep all the fish really well fed and you should be ok :D

Lots of fish in there to pick off the fry.. The most important thing is to make sure you make lots of little hidey holes that are small enough for the fry to hide in but no big enough to let the adults in to get them, layers of stacked up rock or even coral works really well with the little holes..