Lights for a 4ft

SamH

Hey guys,

I've recently discovered that along with buying a dud tube :x one of my double T8 ballasts isn't working any more. Meaning I need to illuminate a 4ft (40cm high and deep) well enough to grow most plants. But, there's a catch, I'm on a budget so nothing really expensive.

Should I just get a new ballast or is there a better way?

Thanks

-Sam

I'll be building it into a lighthood so reflectors aren't an issue, I'll just paint the inside white. Which brings me to my next question...

The lights are just over 4ft long but the aquarium is exactly 4ft long, how do I make a lighthood that fits? :o

Using ballasts would usually be better as they have a minimal profile,although that T5 fitting I mentioned above had a very tight profile so it would be worth checking out. You can also stagger a couple of shorter fittings - that might be the best way.

Hey guys,

I've recently discovered that along with buying a dud tube :x one of my double T8 ballasts isn't working any more. Meaning I need to illuminate a 4ft (40cm high and deep) well enough to grow most plants. But, there's a catch, I'm on a budget so nothing really expensive.

Should I just get a new ballast or is there a better way?

Thanks

-Sam

Yank the ballast, go to a good electrical place, I'd be surprised if it's more than like $15.

I'm waiting on a quote for a double 39w ballast at the moment 8)

Hi SamH,

I have recently priced parts for a DIY T5 setup. I have a written quote for an Osram twin ballast (QTI) that will run a multitude of differing sized tubes (including T8) for $61.50 plus GST, this quote is from Rexel. If you are looking at having the tube/s exposed to water the problem you will have is getting water proof/resistant end caps in NZ. I have a quote to purchase these from a UK retailer for a good price and minimal freight.

Another option is the Hagen Glo Electronic ballast, I have one of these in 2 x 39w and am really pleased with it.

Cheers