moth balls with worms colony

Sophia

next will be interesting

will the worms be OK and not full of poison?

May pay to be carefull on what and when you feed the worms to

I would strongly recomend not feeding them out for a week to allow the rubbish to be expelled from the worms

Thanks for all the info

I don't know about that. My husband says that soil will have naptha in it as it does absorb the oxygen but whether the worms will absorb it that way I don't know. I don't have any fish to feed them to at the moment and won't for some weeks anyway.

Tonight's update is that after a day of no mothball inside the wooden box when I checked on the bugs they were moving around but still sluggish.

There is now a mothball in there till the morning.

I am not willing to sacrifice the whole worm colony for the experiment so if there is no further progress on it tomorrow I will probably flag it and revert to flooding the bugs out of one box. They have in any case been reduced by at least 3 quarters in the meantime. :D

oooh that sounds mean but effective!!

I left the mothball one more night, this morning they were still moving like little bug slugs. Have taken the mothball out now. Experiment is over!

Barrie, I can recommend using the ball when the lid is off to get the bugs moving and up the sides of the container so you can wipe them out with a cloth. I also suspect that using mothballs in the box might prevent the bugs coming in the first place. Since I don't have anywhere to keep the worms warm but not fill my house with vapours I probably won't get to test this theory at least till summer.

If anyone else has any experience with using mothballs, I'd like to hear about it.

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

a ladybird is a good idea - I will have to dial 0800 rent-a-bug!!

since the experiment finished the bugs that were left have not multiplied in any great fashion either, they are there but not taking over like before.

I haven't felt the need to resort to flooding them out as I was going to

I have mine in chinese food type containers with no holes in the lids and change the luncheon dayly. Have had no mites since I started and have done exactly as instructed by El Presidente from whence they came and have therefore avoided the pointy stick. Long may it last.