Transporting fish?

DennisP

I've tried a quick search on here, but didn't find anything.

Since a lot of people on here are transporting fish across the country, I'm sure there is someone that can help.

I am (almost certainly) going to be transporting some fish from blenheim to chch, which Is a 4-5 hour drive.

What do I do?

what fish & what size are they?

if i were colecting fish & driving them home i use a chillybin. half fill it & you may want to tap the lid shut to stop water spilling out if your driving is crazy :D

use it like a tank & the chilly bin will help keep the temp up. the stirring of the surface will keep the oxygen levels up so should be sweet

We brought lots of fish home from conference from ChCh to Blenheim (something we do a lot) and never lost a fish. They were double bagged at the shop with only a few per bag then we put them in poly boxes. When you travel your car is usally a good temperature anyway but I prefer to keep them in a box. I also use the soft sided chilly bins you can buy cheaply these days as, when not in use, they pack away in small places.

We also brought home a large selection of cichlids once just loose in a chilly bin. Large chilly bins are good for fish too big to fit in a bag as well.