Help I have a algae problem

aquaticmum

Last week on Wednesday I had my tank water tested, it had high PH and high nitrates. I did a 50% water change, cleaned the sides of the tank as brown algae had spread. The rocks in my tank have also got brown over parts of them.

It stayed clear for 2 days, but when I got home on Monday it was back to been murkey and brown on sides of tank. I will get the water tested tomorrow, but wonder if I should be doing more water changes through the week. I have live plants, and plastic plants, a pce of drift wood.

please help! :lol:

another question, with live plants do the roots need to be buried in the stones quite well?

If this is a new tank, brown algae is common. As the tank matures and the cycle completes, the brown algae will disappear. In the meantime you can just keep wiping it off the front and surfaces where possible so it looks nicer.

Live plants need to be buried quite well or the fish can pull them up (and will do so if given half a chance). Plants with bulbs should not have the top of the bulb buried.

The tank is second hand, i have had it now for one month, i kept the same gravel, and noodles. The tank was nice and clear for first week then turned yuck. Do I just keep doing weekly water changes of 20%, get water tested and wait for it to clear?

Try the extra water changes until the tank settles. What, and how many, fish are in it? As the plants grow they should out-compete the algae for food and the water will clear again. The green water looks bad but is harmless.

Do you have lighting? If so, what sort and how long do you have the lights on for? Is there any direct sunlight on the tank?

I had the water tested again today and took our tap water in aswell. our tap water is very high in nitrate, we are on bore water. So that is why my tank water is high in nitrate. Instead of getting my water from in town, i am going to try nitra zorb and see if this works. I will test water tomorrow in my tank. I have lights in my tank and will have them on while i am at work as i have live plants. No direct sunlight, but it does get some light on it, i have pulled down my sun blind to stop direct light going onto tank. Ladie at pet shop said not to do a water change at the mo as she thinks tank is coming to the end of its cycle.

Will let you know how i get on with nitra zorb.

thankyou for all your advise.