Discus fins - advice please

Dave+Amy

I was recently really disappointed in receiving two 4 months old blue diamond discus, paid $60 each and only 3cm in length.

One discus has a missing/broken ray in its dorsal (top) fin as well as one missing/broken ray on the ventral (bottom) fin too, the other discus looks like someone had cut out a semicircle out of its dorsal fin.

Can anyone tell me if their fins will regrow to its original or will I be stuck with two discus with fin deformities? :evil:

cut fins will grow back no problems at all. will only take a couple of weeks.

were those the ones on TM that i left a question about?

i saw some BD's on there not too long ago that looked nice, but were not BD's in my opinion. they did not have a red colour on the eye, and looked like ocean greens instead. nice body shape though.

yup they are, the blue diamonds are a bit stunted in comparison to albino ones of similar age

I got from from Vincent. I currently have 8 assorted 3-5cm growing out and these bd's are definately of a lesser quality :cry:

Could the fin be a genetic deformity though? I doubt the two discus were ripping each other's fins apart during overnight courier :S

not like that, mine has actually got half a ray missing (you're just looked ripped but at least it's still there) it's hard to take photos - tried last night to get a decent photo but failed

Like the part of the fin/ray is not there, and doesn't look fresh either..the top dorsal fin of the second discus just looks completely deformed :evil:

If the fin is damaged there is every chance it may grow back to at least somewhere near what it used to be.. If it is deformed then it wont grow back or improve at all.. I think posting a pic may help identify what has happened here, but generally damage should be fairly obvious..

mine too, i got from a TM breeder, looks like ph burn or something and is not regrowing, or deformities.

i also got a blue diamond very small.

but that is why i have been very put off buying babies from breeders cos of the lies they feed ya.

im frankly had it.

i have purchased from two so called reputable breeders here - and on trademe and all have lied to me :x

mine too, i got from a TM breeder, looks like ph burn or something and is not regrowing, or deformities.

i also got a blue diamond very small.

but that is why i have been very put off buying babies from breeders cos of the lies they feed ya.

im frankly had it.

i have purchased from two so called reputable breeders here - and on trademe and all have lied to me :x

Don't be put off buying babies. Just need to do more research on how to choose good ones although there is still no gurantees. Buying juveniles would be the cheapest way to start discus. Adult ones which are good for breeding will be hang on by breeders. Those nice and uncommon strains of adults would cost a bit if ever it would be sold.

In a basket of apples, there's always a few rotten ones. Same goes with the same batch of discus and breeders alike. Don't be put off.

not like that, mine has actually got half a ray missing (you're just looked ripped but at least it's still there) it's hard to take photos - tried last night to get a decent photo but failed

Like the part of the fin/ray is not there, and doesn't look fresh either..the top dorsal fin of the second discus just looks completely deformed :evil:

Hi Amy,

If its a hard ray in the dorsal or anal area it will not grow or grow back.

If its one of the soft rays it could be just shipping damage and can grow back

It sounds to me to be a birth deformity and should of been culled,both fish.

It is quite common for this deformity,missing hard rays in these areas,as are short gill plates

• 2 weeks later...

it's so gutting..I saved up hard to for those two babies since I quit work cos of uni getting too full on, they didn't even reply to my email..so never trading with that lady again. I have one pic it's the only unblurred pic of them but it can sort of see the dorsal fin of one of them.